+48V on soft control

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ feature suggestions +48V on soft control

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gregg Grey Gregg Grey 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JeffTPA
    JeffTPA
    Participant

It would be very helpful to be able to toggle +48V/ phantom power from a softkey, rather than just on the touchscreen.

Profile photo of Phil Driscoll
    Phil Driscoll
    Participant

I’d be interested to know what the use case for this is. I’ve spent most of my life using broadcast mixing desks with phantom power permanently applied to all mic inputs, and with no opportunity to turn it off. In 40 years, it’s never caused me a problem, so I’m wondering what would require phantom for a channel to be switched off in a hurry.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Personally I like phantom power switches to be kind of out of the way so to speak.

Profile photo of JeffTPA
    JeffTPA
    Participant

My SQ is in a multi-user space, where we have folks who regularly work on other consoles. It’s very easy for them to get the hang of the tactile switches… and the SQ desk is very well laid out.

But training folks who don’t work on the desk every day to go two layers deep into a touch menu to find the *very first thing* they need to have access to on a channel control is frustrating. We have tactile gain knobs, full EQ access, essential gate controls, etc… the only critical function that isn’t on a tactile control is that +48V.

I might add that I’ve had a couple of times when my touch screen has frozen. I’ve been able to keep mixing through the show without the touch screen… until I needed the phantom control. Then had to cycle off the amps, reset the board, and cycle back on, just to get access to that. Soft key would be good insurance.

Now, understanding that some folks don’t want it… a soft control is perfect, because folks like me can map a button, and folks like Mike can choose to not do so.

Profile photo of JeffTPA
    JeffTPA
    Participant

To Phil’s question… I work with a recording engineer who brings in her own $2k+ custom-made compressor mics. She absolutely will not plug or unplug them with phantom engaged. So any time we need to connect or reconnect, we have to cycle that power.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

True a soft key operation option is there if you want to use it or not.
    I take it if it was an option you would want it to follow what channel was selected.

I also don’t like connecting or disconnecting mics with phantom power turned on.

Profile photo of Gregg Grey
    Gregg Grey
    Participant

Hello there,
    it’s a good idea !
    +1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.