40 input from stage, SQ6 FOH

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions 40 input from stage, SQ6 FOH

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

Hi all,
    my first message here. I’m working with a band that just got hold of an SQ6. I never used the board nor I have seen it in real life yet.
    In the next days we’re gonna set it all up and rehearse for their upcoming tour and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out the best way to set and wire things up.

BTW, I’m coming from (mainly) an X32 background, plus a few of the usual suspects (Midas Pro, Yamaha CL and QL, AVID)

We got 40 inputs from stage, 8 stereo in-ears systems and 1 wedge system for the singer (in case of emergency).

We’re gonna run with the SQ6 only and have the in-ears managed via iPad by yours truly.

I’m still tryin’ to wrap my head around the number of DX168 we could be using on stage. From A&H website I get that the maximum number of DX168 you can cascade is 2. That would make 32 inputs and 16 outputs.

So, what would be the best way to get all 40 inputs and 17 (plus mains) outputs signals from FOH to stage via a single CAT5/6?

Hope I made myself clear. Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

AR2412/AB168 would do it.

Profile photo of TonmeisterDaniel
    TonmeisterDaniel
    Participant

From what i’ve heard you can use 3 DX168 with the dx hub. But i guess that will need a new firmware.
    The other option would be an analogue snake to get the local i/o s to the stage…

greetz
    Daniel

Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

Thanks to both of you. I’ve been told that we got 3 DX168 also. I also understood from A&H literature that the DX HUB would solve all our issues but don’t if we got that one too. Is it already available? What is the exact hook up with it?

Thanks again.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

What is the exact hook up with it?

You connect the DX Hub’s gigaAce port to the Slink port on the SQ-6. Then you connect the DX168’s to their own DX Link port on the DX Hub. However, I don’t think this is currently up and running. Perhaps someone from A&H can comment on that.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

DX Hub support is currently in test and will be added in V1.2, scheduled for the next few weeks. You will be able to connect up to 8x DX168s to the hub, and patch the inputs to the 48 channels on the SQ mixer. As the patch is stored in Scenes, this allows for example instant switchover of inputs in a festival or A/B stage scenario, or flexible I/O in a multi-room conference centre.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

You will be able to connect up to 8x DX168s to the hub

Wow!! 128 input channels available to be connected (yes, total of 48 active). That’s impressive!

Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

Hey all,
    Sunday I had my first encounter with the SQ6 + 3 DX168 and the DX Hub.
    I’m on stage duties so I can’t really comment on the board itself (I’m working off an iPad and managing 8 stereo in-ears).
    We had some major head-scratching moments with the routing but it now seems to be all under control.

I know the board and the system are fresh new, but I have to tell you that the iPad app is lacking on a lot of levels so far. Of course I hope there will be constant upgrades in the future.
    Coming from an X32 environment here are the major issues I noticed:

1. Inputs and outputs naming from the iPad NOT AVAILABE
    2. Oscillator and other tools from the iPad NOT AVAILABE
    3. Color coding inputs and/or outputs NOT AVAILABE
    4. Digital splitting inside the console NOT AVAILABE
    5. Routing edit from the iPad NOT AVAILABE

The app seemed responsive and well laid out but considering that it does 1% of what the console is capable of that was expected.

Today we’re gonna have another last check before tour starts beginning of March.

Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

Uh, almostr forgot.

I had to wire all DX168 to the Hub via the B port or the system didn’t work properly. How comes?
    Still tryin’ to figure my way around the routing page, not very intuitive.

Of course a manual with detailed wiring and setups would be handy but there seems to be none.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I had to wire all DX168 to the Hub via the B port or the system didn’t work properly. How comes?

Here’s your answer from above…

DX Hub support is currently in test and will be added in V1.2, scheduled for the next few weeks

4. Digital splitting inside the console NOT AVAILABE

It absolutely is available on the console. You can map any input to any or all channels.

Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

Thanks Art, would you please walk my thru a digital split?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

simply go to the input patch and repatch the signal source to the needed channels

Profile photo of Tubolymedia
    Tubolymedia
    Participant

Two AR2412 box (2nd is expansion port) working?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Tubolymedia,

Two AR2412’s cascades is not supported on any of our products, this is because dSnake is a 40×60 channel protocol.

Thanks!

Alex

Profile photo of ROAM
    ROAM
    Participant

A brief update for the record.

We’re now running with 3 DX168, a DXHub and one SQ6. Everything is smooth after upgrading to firmware 1.2
    I’m on monitor/stage duties with an iPad. SQ6 is at FOH.

Hope to get an SQ5 and SLink card as soon as the FOH/Monitor split setup is supported, tested and trustworthy.

So far so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.