How do you do a virtual sound check

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions How do you do a virtual sound check

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rasweig rasweig 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

(sooner or later) I will get the dante to protools connection working. (or reaper since I am on a windows platform).

What i would like to know is, what is the preferred way to toggle back and forth from recording to listening to what you have recorded.?

I presume you need to set up the direct outs to be post pre amp.
    But when I bring the “tape” outputs back to the mixrack via dante, will they come back in as about the same point in the signal chain?

Any a few other questions.

1. Anyone only using wireless or wired computers and no surface?
    2. Anybody tried using a touch screen to drive the i live editor?
    3. What have you found from a “screen” standpoint that works in sunlight?
    4. Have you been able to set up a redundant wireless network in case you have a WAP fail. (I did and it was a real bummer).

Thanks for your time.

Bob
    Blueberry Sound
    Fort Wayne, IN
    2 IDR-16 (no surface)
    Thinkpad X1 running 1.9 Editor
    ACE / MMO / Dual Rack / ADAT (for more outputs)
    Dante / Protools 11

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hello Bob,

For your outputs to Dante your best bet is to set the Dante channels to be “mix rack sockets”. This picks off the audio post pre-amp but before the trim (and anything else). You can also send auxs, matrixes, mains, groups, etc to Dante. I find it useful to also record the Mains, and sometimes submixes. Also, set your master clock to the Dante card.

For recording and virtual sound check what I do is to create three scenes. First I make a master scene that saves all settings except the input patchbay. Then I create two more scenes that just include the patchbay. On the first of these two scenes I set all my IP sources to be the sockets on my iDR rack (or surface, or where ever). This scene is my “Recording” scene. Then on the second scene I set all the IP sources to be from Dante (typically in the PortB in your iDR rack). This scene is my “Playback” scene.

When I’m ready to start a show I recall the master scene. Then I recall the “recording” scene. I set all my dynamics, levels, fx, etc etc. Then I update the Master scene with any changes. I record to my laptop in Reaper. When I’m ready for a sound check, I recall my “playback scene” and playback my tracks from Reaper.

On Reaper make sure that you have the tracks inputs set from your Dante channels and the track outputs set to your Dante channels.

For your other questions….
    1. Yes I’ve done many shows with just an iPad and Laptop. I prefer to stay with a wired connection to my laptop for stability but you can do it wireless.
    2. I’ve not tried a touch screen for the editor, however, it has been discussed here before. The editor doesn’t support multi-touch so you are limited to making one change at a time. Also most of the display is sized in such a way that its very hard to use a touch screen
    3. When I mix on an iLive outside I usually build a makeshift hood for the screen out of cardboard and gaff tape. It works, but is annoying.
    4. I’ve never tried to setup a redundant wireless network. I’m not sure that it would really be possible. Even if you could get two wireless routers to work on the iLive you’d have to have two wireless radios in your laptop. That’s possible with the use of the internal radio and a PC card 802.11 wifi card. However, you couldn’t connect an editor session through both wifi connections at the same time.

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Profile photo of Elphie
    Elphie
    Participant

Hi David,

That’s a great technique. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to borrow that one too!

Cheers,
    Michael

Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

David, thank you so much for your reply. I will give that a try.
    (the three scene thing).

As for the wireless, what i was looking for is having 2 WAPs in the “network” in case one failed. My initial thought is that this would be similar to a corp network which may have many WAP all running the same SSID. The 802.11 radios in laptops are getting smarter about “hopping” from one to another, and further, trying to keep a connection going in case teh laptop is put into suspend. (Intel 3 gen I core chipset).

And just some feedback on the touch screen. I have a 23″ all in one computer that has a touch screen. (Lenovo m90z) When I run editor on it (offline) i love the size of everything on the screen, but like you said, touch is tricky. The PAFL and Mute buttons are pretty close. :)

In fact this is one suggestion I would like to make. Have a version of editor that would exploit Win8 the new AC wireless standard, and multi touch. Thanks again for your reply. I will try that out.

And finally, does anybody have protools working correctly on a windows machine?

Bob
    Blueberry Sound
    Fort Wayne, IN
    2 IDR-16 (no surface)
    Thinkpad X1 running 1.9 Editor
    ACE / MMO / Dual Rack / ADAT (for more outputs)
    Dante / Protools 11

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.