Scene Memory seem to be an afterthought

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Scene Memory seem to be an afterthought

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Rant button pressed…

I still cannot recommend GLD for theater or any application where scene memories are recalled in rapid succession which is my main application.

Requiring two button presses to recall every scene is asking too much when a single button press is all that should be needed. I have over 150 scenes in my musical plays normally. That’s 150 unneeded button presses.

During rehearsals it is even more frustrating when I have to jump around frequently to keep sync with the director. For example if I recall scene 125 then continue on to 126 (and beyond) here is the sequence:
    1- Scroll to 125
    2- Press Recall (curser and active agree)
    3- Press Soft Key 10 button (curser is on 126 but mem 125 is still active)
    4- Press Recall to actually get the curser and the active memory to agree.
    5- Repeat 3 and 4 for rest of show.

Here is what I would like to see happen:
    1-Scroll to desired scene
    2- Press Recall (have curser and active agree)
    3- Press Soft Key 10 (which I programmed) to increment to next memorized scene and recall it while the curser and active scenes agree.
    4- Press Soft Key 10 for rest of show.

Could A&H please put two more options in the Soft Button options?
    Presently:
    Setup/Control/SoftKey/Function/Mode
    Choose from Go/Next/Previous

Much more usable would be:
    Go/Next/Previous/Next+Go/Previous+Go

The curser and the active memory would always agree this way.

I see no options on the GLD editor to view the scene memories in a table view to see what options are “safed” or enabled. I must hunt around as I now have to with the GLD itself. Is there a way to extract the scene data and view it on a spreadsheet program? The big picture would be a huge help especially when troubleshooting why something unintended was safed or not. Presently it is like viewing the world around you through a telescope because of the small touch screen size which is merely duplicated in a computer screen.

And while I’m at it, are there any plans to implement scene fades or channel fades within a scene?

Rant Off button pressed…

John Stefanick
    https://www.RentWirelessMicrophones.com

Profile photo of Sound Doctor
    Sound Doctor
    Participant

John
    A better way to recall & move from scene to scene would be nice. I ran FOH for 9 performances of a production of Les Miserables in Portland, OR, but on an analog board. 19 wireless mics going on and off throughout the performance. Copious notes on the score to indicate when to do what and also inserted some sound effects at various times via a laptop as well. Kept me pretty busy.

Wonderful production and lots of fun, but would love to have been able to program the mixer changes on a GLD and move from scene to scene with one or two buttons & nanme them by the measure of the score. Would have been sweet.

I have not looked yet, but does the new editor program allow us to see a listing of scenes programmed so they can be easily found?
    Cheers,

Rick
    GLD80, AR2412, AR84, MMO, GLD Remote, KR202 array

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

For what it’s worth, you can select the “auto increment” function when assigning a GO softkey, which cues up the next scene. It’s more of a “Go + Next” than “Next + Go” but it should do what you want… at least until you have to back up half an act in rehearsal.

iLive doesn’t have fades between scenes so don’t hold your breath until this feature is added to the GLD.

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

Rick,

The editor seems to be a duplicate of what you see on the console. No added features. [:(]

I would pay my fair share to get a spreadsheet view of the scene memories.

John

John Stefanick

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

OK..What am I doing wrong? I tried this. Everytime it just goes through one time then quits. I go back to the setup and it has defaulted back to MUTE DCA8. I set it again for NEXT/GO/PREV and either GO or Next then Apply. But it won’t hold. I must be missing a step or something….

quote:

Originally posted by jcarter

For what it’s worth, you can select the “auto increment” function when assigning a GO softkey, which cues up the next scene. It’s more of a “Go + Next” than “Next + Go” but it should do what you want… at least until you have to back up half an act in rehearsal.

iLive doesn’t have fades between scenes so don’t hold your breath until this feature is added to the GLD.

GLD 80
    AR2412

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by GCumbee

OK..What am I doing wrong? I tried this. Everytime it just goes through one time then quits. I go back to the setup and it has defaulted back to MUTE DCA8. I set it again for NEXT/GO/PREV and either GO or Next then Apply. But it won’t hold. I must be missing a step or something….

Make sure the SoftKeys are safe in the Scene Safes matrix. Otherwise their assignments will be affected by any Scene recall.

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of John-S
    John-S
    Participant

I know this is a bit snarky but, if there was another way to view all the scene data this would be easy to troubleshoot. But who uses scenes anyway? :)

This nudge was just too easy, sorry.

John Stefanick

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Nicola: I tried that and it worked. Did not think about doing that. Not a perfect thing but it make easier to progress through a lot of scenes…

Thanks

GLD 80
    AR2412

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.