only dsp, 1U rack GLD-0?

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions only dsp, 1U rack GLD-0?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob-Spence Rob-Spence 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

now with this gorgeus editor, it’s the natural evolution ;)

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I/O? What is the purpose?

GLD 80
    AR2412

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It would let you put the GLD-0 in a rack with the I/O and control the system with just a laptop.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

My question was regarding the presence of an I/O. Idea has some merits but not sure how popular or practical it would be. Tactile feel is still more popular. Hard to mix on several faders at once from a laptop. Try blending a choir or group vocals. I am sure there are some uses but is there enough to justify the build? I have mixed 1000’s of albums for over 30+ years plus lots of live. When I got into DAW mixing in the 90’s I tried it with a mouse. Finally had to get a work surface with real faders. Just did not work for what I did…

GLD 80
    AR2412

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind if the show was one or two guitars and one or two vocals but yes, it would be a problem with larger events. The existence of the GLD112 highlights this, it doesn’t do anything more except provide more faders.

It makes more sense with an iLive system where the DSP is in the rack anyway so you have the option of not bringing the surface if you don’t think you need it. If a GLD-0 were to exist it would lock the user into always using the laptop, which doesn’t make as much sense.

I wouldn’t want to do a show on a laptop if it was outside of what could be handled with a Qu-16, so one of those as rack unit might work…

Chris

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

in fact my idea was some sort of Ilive IDR-0 equivalent.
    I already have a GLD80 (with AR24 and AR8) and I use it for everything, even if I need only, e.g., 8 channels and 3 auxes.
    Something cheaper than QU16 that can be put in the rack together with AR’s (maybe less DSP power than a standard GLD80, let’s say only one AR24 or AR8 compatible)would be a great portable solution for smaller events. I/O would be just d-snake port, lan and a trimmed headphones output for pafl’s.
    Am I just dreaming? ;)

Regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by byondo

in fact my idea was some sort of Ilive IDR-0 equivalent.
    I already have a GLD80 (with AR24 and AR8) and I use it for everything, even if I need only, e.g., 8 channels and 3 auxes.
    Something cheaper than QU16 that can be put in the rack together with AR’s (maybe less DSP power than a standard GLD80, let’s say only one AR24 or AR8 compatible)would be a great portable solution for smaller events. I/O would be just d-snake port, lan and a trimmed headphones output for pafl’s.
    Am I just dreaming? ;)

Regards
    Massimo

Sounds like you want A&H to build a competitor to the Behtinger X32 core. It would seem that the market for that is installs such as hotel ballrooms which are mostly set and forget.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com
    GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, AR2412, AR84, MacBook Pro, Reaper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.