GLD underlying operating system

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD underlying operating system

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tk2k tk2k 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Hi all,

Looking for some info on how the underlying system GLD runs on differs from iLive. I know iLive is a bunch of 56k’s and some FPGA’s for routing, with a dedicated touchscreen computer. Is GLD the same, or are we looking at a mostly FPGA system?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    Austin Federa, Lawrence University
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I recently saw a modular iLive mess up it’s mix configuration in such a way that certain input channels wouldn’t pass signal to the LR bus. Straight reboots didn’t help but changing the configuration settings to make it “reboot” it’s bus structure got it working again.

Is the GLD susceptible to this sort of fun? [:D]

Chris

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

I recently saw a modular iLive mess up it’s mix configuration in such a way that certain input channels wouldn’t pass signal to the LR bus. Straight reboots didn’t help but changing the configuration settings to make it “reboot” it’s bus structure got it working again.

Is the GLD susceptible to this sort of fun? [:D]

Chris

Yup that makes a ton of sense! That’s how FPGAs work, state until told to reprogram.

No idea about the GLD though

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad

Profile photo of jdh28
    jdh28
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tk2k

Looking for some info on how the underlying system GLD runs on differs from iLive. I know iLive is a bunch of 56k’s and some FPGA’s for routing, with a dedicated touchscreen computer. Is GLD the same, or are we looking at a mostly FPGA system?

There’s definitely a PC in there running Linux – you see the BIOS screen and Linux starting to boot. I have had mine hang hard so that the touchscreen and all the controls are unresponsive, but audio continued to flow. I would imagine therefore that the main mixer is a bunch of FPGAs and perhaps some DSPs, but all the control surface and display is driven by the PC.

But that’s just my speculation :)

John

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jdh28

There’s definitely a PC in there running Linux – you see the BIOS screen and Linux starting to boot. I have had mine hang hard so that the touchscreen and all the controls are unresponsive, but audio continued to flow. I would imagine therefore that the main mixer is a bunch of FPGAs and perhaps some DSPs, but all the control surface and display is driven by the PC.

But that’s just my speculation :)

John

Interesting so it’s probably still a JRE then… But I’m curious because the Qu-16 seems too small to fit a full x86.

Maybe A&H can chip in, or else it’ll be time to get a rental and a screwdriver!

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.