Noise with pad in

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Noise with pad in

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dshriver dshriver 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of naffdave
    naffdave
    Participant

I recently switched back to a T112 surface from a Digico SD8 on the show I do. I had a problem when I opened up my vocal channels there was excessive amount of hiss. After messing about for awhile trying different things I stumbled across the solution. It transpired that if you have the pad in and say use a input gain of 20db it will hiss but if you take the pad out and use input gain of 20db its silent ?
    Anyone technical can tell me why that is.

Dave

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

Applying a pad and then having to gain it up to suit a vocal effectively is adding 20dB of additional (unnecessary) gain to the channel – I’m surprised at the number of guest engineers I have come through who need reminding of that…

Adam Biggs
    T112 surface & iDR48
    T80 surface & iDR48
    MixPad for iPad & Tweak for iPhone apps
    Asus N61 Laptop (x2 wireless)
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Mac Mini Server w/Mountain Lion

with Belkin PlayMax N600 HD router
    Dante card tracking into Reaper with playback via FooBar (PC) or Presonus Capture/Studio One (Mac)

Find me on Facebook – http://www.fb.com/BiggsoundsProductions

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

have to say the PAD is the devils work on an iLive, try to not use it and all will be loverly[:D]

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Pad is not your friend on any desk unless once you punch it in you are pulling the gain back.

The iLive has tonnes of headroom even above the peak light. There is something like 18dB of headroom even when you trip a peak light so I don’t worry about running things hot on the iLive. Its better to be hot than it is to be running below zero with all the pads in.

If your just tripping the peak lights and you have the gain all the way down then don’t take the step of punching in a pad, you don’t need it and it will just screw your noise floor.

I saw an engineer once who had every single pad button in on an iLive and the amount of hiss was insane.

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

The pad itself doesn’t cause noise. The problem is that the pre-amp gets noisy at its highest gain settings. The pad cuts 25db from the signal. If you add all that gain back and end up at the upper end of the pre-amp its going to be noisy. Only use the Pad when turning the pre-amp all the way down doesn’t reduce the signal enough. The pre-amps on the iLive are very good and do offer a 55db range. However I find the last 10db too noisy to be really useful.

-d

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.