Understanding PAFL

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Understanding PAFL

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I am still new to GLD. Pretty much figured out except the PAFL bus. I can install a PAFL IEM from the monitor store onto a strip. It gets the Main feed and PFL so can use that in lieu of a control room output for say broadcast use. I do think there should be a routing of post headphone control to a set of sockets for that.

But anyway, when you select the MIX button on the IEM, all IP’s show IEM and you can turn them ON/OFF like other assigns but nothing happens anywhere that I can hear or see. Nothing. Same with WEDGE. So what are these functions showing up on IP’s supposed to be doing? I think I have found a couple of other things like that. Item shows up but can’t find what the function actually does. Thanks for any help…

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant
    Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

What part of that addresses my question Chris? I don’t see anything regarding the ON buttons when IEM is set to Mix. Not sure what I am missing on this…

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The 5th post.

The “ON”s when you press MIX on IEM and Wedge are showing you whether or not inputs or mixes are assigned to either IEM or Wedge.

The only thing I use it for is to route IEM to the headphone socket so that I have a headphone mute button. [8D]

The intended use of this is for monitor engineers mixing both ears and wedges having a cue wedge and their own set of ears. They want their cue wedge to mute when they’re listening to an in ear mix and their in ears to mute when they’re listening to a wedge mix.

If you assign a mix to “Wedge”, when you PAFL that mix the sound will go to the output socket assigned to “Wedge” and not go to the socket assigned to “IEM”.

When you PAFL a mix that is assigned to “IEM” the sound only goes to the socket assigned to “IEM” and does not go to the socket assigned to “Wedge”.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

OK..I will have to try that.

While we are sort of on the subject. I noticed when I pull up the stock GLD Monitor show there is NO Main. Only IEM and WEDGE. OK when you set MIX on say AUX 1, a source say from 45/46 for test will only assign to that AUX in PRE mode. Is that by design?

If I create a Main and set channels to on then the source will work in post mode to the Aux. It is still OK for the intended use I guess. Just struck me odd that it would only work in PRE..Like I said, still figuring this thing out. Routing is the most difficult part of the learning curve.

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’ve just tried that in the editor and it will let you do post fader aux mixes without having an LR mix.

The GLD LCD’s will never say “post”, but they will say “pre” if in pre-fader mode. You’re in post fader when it doesn’t say “pre”.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

OK…I understand that but as of yet still do not get a signal through in POST mode. Not sure what I am doing wrong. It is as if there is no send level. I tried it on the surface and with the editor connected to the surface. Make sure your show is the monitor show. All auxes as IEMs and WEDGES. No main LR on any layer..

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

In trying it again this morning it is working. Now, when I tried this yesterday I thought I tried it from the surface, but later I was trying it from the editor connected to the surface and could not get it to work. I have selected the monitor show and recalled it, but I guess it was not actually loaded on the surface. Anyway it would not pass a signal in POST. Today it is.

In this setup though, the fader is just sending to the IEM and WEDGE so everything should be POST. There really is no PRE since the fader is not in a 2 mix mode. What is PRE pre of?

Thanks for your help. Just trying to learn all these things so when I sell these I can teach them.

George, Mid-America Communications Audio/Video, Paducah, KY USA

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s pre the channel fader, even if there is no LR mix and no groups.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

OK…I see now. If you press mix on the IEM or WEDGE on the right then you get a channel fader. I did not see that before so they act like a main in this show setup. These are the kinds of things you just have to work through figuring out since they are not well documented..

Thanks for the help….

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’m not at an actual GLD to test if this works with audio, but the channel fader should be the default function even if you’re NOT in the “IEM” or “Wedge” mixes.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You are probably right. I was not expecting that result.

I just wish I could get as much response from others about my thread on the contrast issue. Seems this is a logically needed update if possible. Don’t like that part of the console. Angle is just bad.

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Yep, it seems to be designed so that the user stands over the console and looks down at it (which would be the most common use) but it doesn’t work as well if you’re sitting down behind it.

Chris

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have very few customers who stand. Very stupid oversight not to have that adjustable. Every potential buyer I have showed it to has complained about that.

GLD 80
    AR24/12

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.