EQ and FX Preview

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions EQ and FX Preview

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of david_herl david_herl 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mharper
    mharper
    Participant

I’ve been helping another church with their iLive set up, and the tech gave me 2 questions that I don’t think are possible but thought I’d ask.

1. Is is possible to preview EQ changes on a channel before they go live. Example, he gave me was that he wants to be able to sweep for an offending requency, like a tone in the snare that he doesn’t like with out any hearing the changes until he is finished. he wants the preview to be able to go to his head phones from.

2. Very similar to the 1st. He wants to be able to preview an FX change before he goes live with it.

Is any of this possible. His set up is an iLive-80 with and IDR-10 Mix Rack.

Thanks
    Mike

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Both are possible.

I often find it useful to setup a “test channel”. To do this I assign an unused IP to a strip. I turn it OFF from the main mix as a safety measure. Then I set its input source to the same as the channel I want to preview (or experiment on). I then copy the original channel to my test channel (press and hold copy, press SEL on original channel; press and hold paste, press SEL on test channel). Now you have an identical copy of one of your channels. PAFL this channel and play with it without it making any changes to anything anyone hears. Once you’re happy with the test channel make those changes to the original channel.

To preview an FX there are a couple of options. If the FX isn’t being used you can just PAFL on it to hear what it’ll sound like. If its currently on in the mix and being used you can create a new FX on one of the other FX channels and make changes there until you are happy, then bring up the new FX while bringing out the old one.

-d

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Profile photo of david_herl
    david_herl
    Participant

If you still have available dsp & fader , just do a channel split.
    don’t route the splitted channel to MAIN (set it OFF).

EQ & PAFL the splitted channel, then do a copy paste of the eq to the actual channel.

For FX you just need to mute FX return channel then pafl both the actual channel & the FX Send aux channel. Once you get what you like, unmute the FX return channel.

Don’t forget to set PAFL selection to ‘additive’.

I hope it helps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.