Specs for USB keys

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Specs for USB keys

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bvde
    bvde
    Participant

Dears,

I have a personal USB-key that I have used for many years in many divises on diffrent platforms. It works fine everywhere.
    But, when I use the key in de GLD80, the system crashes. Buttons and screen freeze.
    I will prevent that this is happening during a show.

My questions: How can I check what key does work, or not. Are there any specs? Are there any other users with the same problems?

bvde

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Sandisk or Kingston. Not too large a capacity, I think 16GB is fine but I wouldn’t go for a 32.

Anything different may well still work, but is a bit less likely.

I Use an 8GB Kingston DT101.

Chris

Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

Sandisk or Kingston. Not too large a capacity, I think 16GB is fine but I wouldn’t go for a 32.

Anything different may well still work, but is a bit less likely.

I Use an 8GB Kingston DT101.

Chris

Chris,
    I’m curious why the 16gb limitation on the USB stick? I’ve been using a Kingston 32gb for the past month or so and it appears that it died this past weekend. It doesn’t register as being plugged in to the GLD nor my Mac computer. I have an identical 2nd stick and it works just fine.

Thanks,
    Joe

GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It’s to do with how larger size flash drives are created. My understanding is that the memory chips they use tend to come in smaller sizes, I think up to 16GB. To create larger capacity flash drives they “bridge” two or more of the smaller chips together rather than spending more money on larger ones.

PC and Mac operating systems are fine with this, but Linux (which is what the GLD runs on) can’t read it properly unless the whole drive is made up of one chip.

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.