GLD on festivals

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD on festivals

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of soundout soundout 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of STAGE-TECH
    STAGE-TECH
    Participant

hi, I want to take my GLD on tour with my band. Most of the time are we playing on festivals. It’s a 10 piece band with a few musicians who are on in-ears and the rest on wedge. I use only 22 channels for the front of house and another 22 for the monitoring. Most of the time I only have 30 minutes for soundcheck and change over. How do you arrange/organise your hole set-up to be ready within 30 minutes? And you are on a tight budget… Someone must be doing this, any great tips?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

How much of the production are you carrying and how much is provided by the festival? If you can pre-label all your cables that will speed things up. Write “K” (kick drum) on the female end and “I1” (input socket 1) on the male end, or whatever works for your cabling situation.

If you want to bring your GLD into a festival it would be best to be self contained. Unless you’re the headline act, festivals won’t want to be unpatching their consoles just for you, and then have to put it all back again when you leave. Labeling a cable “I1” might confuse things if you’re using festival multicores / sub-snakes.

If everything on the input side (instruments, mics etc.) is the same you should be able to recall the show file and have it be fairly close to what you want. Main LR (if you feed the PA from it) and Wedge EQ’s will need to be changed too. Can you use the ipad app for ringing out wedges on stage?

Chris

STAGE-TECH
    Participant

Chris thanks, i thought That it woud be best to take everything with me. The remote app is my favourit for rigging and controlling my monitors :-). The Only thing That i realise is That i Need extra hands to get everything ready on stage.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by STAGE-TECH

The Only thing That i realise is That i Need extra hands to get everything ready on stage.

This is why I suggested labelling the cables like that. Anyone can just pick up either end of any cable and know where to plug it in. [:)]

Chris

Profile photo of johnfrusketti
    johnfrusketti
    Participant

I’ve got a similar problem: 10 element reggae band, 27 channel, lot of shows are festival with more band. Using the GLD for both FOH and monitoring.
    I was thinking of building/buying a passive splitter with standard 8 channel multipin connectors so i can use the festival multicore, but i don’t know how to then connect easily the GLD with the festival consolle, that have probably a 48ch multipin connector…

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Most of the festivals nowadays provide serveral CAT-Cables at FOH! At minimum MADI or DANTE! The you just have to use an I/O Card at your GLD and the Audio-Company have to link the Monitor-Signals from your Mixer to the wedges or IEM!

Best would be if you contact the Audio-Company and ask for the possibilities… but every other band with every other mixer will have the same issue!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

STAGE-TECH
    Participant

I’m putting everything in a flight case on wheels. My inputs, the mucians in ears, the wireless mics. I’m going to connect everything in advance, so that I only have to connect the mics from the mucians on stage. In the rider I’m going to ask to pre install the cat 5 cable from stage to he place where I’m mixing the audio. I’m taking all my mics, so that don’t have to change things dramatically. More or less total recal [;)]

quote:

Originally posted by STAGE-TECH

In the rider I’m going to ask to pre install the cat 5 cable from stage to he place where I’m mixing the audio. [;)]

Probably not a good idea. You will not get Cat5 approved by A&H. You at get totally cheesy, cheap, home network grade cat5 and it may be of the incorrect length. If you are PM or BE for a band playing larger festivals and you are carrying your own console, you will be expected to load in and setup your gear when the other gear goes in and you should be expected to bring your own snake. If you are unable to do that then mix on the provided console.

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    2 X AR84

Profile photo of soundout
    soundout
    Participant

Hello there
    I’m a festival sound engineer and I have to say that your assumptions that you will be able to plumb in your whole system on a 30-minute turnaround are breathtakingly impractical. If you aren’t prepared to adapt your setup to what is available to all the other festival artists, you will be booked once and once only! Of course we would all like a familiar system at every festival but in the real world, it doesn’t happen that way. Mind you, I just do the smaller events, interestingly with 2 GLDs!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.