MEU

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of millst millst 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Hi

Does anyone know if the MEU can be used as a standard switch in an iLive network. ie can I connect non ME1 devices into it and access the iLive, other devices on the network and ALL dante channels?

I’m looking at getting a couple of these
    https://www.four-audio.com/en/products/dbs1.html
    which need POE and I wondered if I could just run them off an MEU instead of having to buy another POE switch as well.

Regards
    Toby

Profile photo of dnxmirrorsounds
    dnxmirrorsounds
    Participant

The bigger question is: do you really want to run the risk that the band will lose their IEMs even momentarily,for the sake of buying an extra $100 switch?

Duncan Whitcombe
    @Dnxmirrorsounds
    Mirror Sounds & metrochurch
    Perth, Australia
    T112, iDR48x2
    http://www.mirrorsounds.com.au
    http://www.metrochurch.org.au

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Toby

No, you can’t use the ME-U in that way. The 10 ports do form a standard switch, but all 10 broadcast a dSnake stream, which uses pretty much all of the bandwidth available.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

Thanks Jeff

@Duncan
    If you can tell me where I can find a 16 or 24 port rack mount managed gigabit switch with POE for $100 then I wouldn’t need to ask.
    The last switch I bought cost me $1800 so I was thinking if an MEU could be used it would nicely kill two birds with one stone.
    Or one bird with two rack spaces so to speak.

I wouldn’t trust my audio to a $100 switch.

I’d rather not have to tell a client that the reason they had a 5000 pax riot on their hands when the audio stopped during a show was because I bought a $100 network switch which all of my control, audio and monitor splits for the whole show were passing through.

A switch is a single point of failure these days and not worth skimping on. There is a big difference between a cheap consumer switch and an enterprise managed switch which we really all should be using if we value the traffic passing over it.

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi Toby,
    Why not just add a POE injector to power the unit?
    Sounds like it would be a $30 solution

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I use POE a lot.
    I have multiple access points, remote audio transmission equipment.
    Injectors are ok, but they are messy and another point of failure.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by millst

There is a big difference between a cheap consumer switch and an enterprise managed switch which we really all should be using if we value the traffic passing over it.

Yes indeed – there is a big difference – a $100 switch could potentially fail and ruin your gig, an $1800 enterprise class managed switch could possibly fail and ruin your gig. The difference is $1700 and a false sense of security HaHaHa!! [:)]

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

If that was the case I would have bought an x32 :)

I have a pile of 5 poked dlink and net gear “cheap” switches that are broke.
    I have had precisely zero Cisco and linksys switches out of a fleet of 7 that have failed.

I like those odds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.