PAFL on Aux Mix with Dante Feed

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions PAFL on Aux Mix with Dante Feed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Hinkens Joe Hinkens 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

I’m playing back 16 channels of audio from my DAW of our bands rehearsal to set levels and tweak channel processing, etc for the FOH mix. Now I’d like to PAFL solo the aux mixes so I can dial in each band member’s in-ears mix prior to our next rehearsal. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,
    Joe

GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

just press the PAFL Button on your AUX-Channel!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by eotsskleet

just press the PAFL Button on your AUX-Channel!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

Unfortunately, that doesn’t feed any audio to the phones when the input is from the Dante card input. It works fine when the input if coming from the input sockets on the AR2412.

Thanks,
    Joe

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

?

Do you have your PAFL output patched back into the Dante network rather than to the headphone socket? I’m not sure if that’s even possible…

Does input PAFL work?

I can’t think of any way at all that the input source could affect Mix PAFL behaviour unless it’s a bug.

Are your aux mixes showing any signal level?

Do you have the aux master turned down and mix PAFL in AFL mode?

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

There’s another way that mix PAFL might not go to the headphone socket.

Are you using the “Wedge” and “IEM” channel strips?

The GLD has an option to assign a mix to either “Wedge” or “IEM”. These can be assigned to output sockets. The “IEM” mix can be assigned to the headphone socket.

The intended use of this is for monitor engineers mixing both ears and wedges having a cue wedge and their own set of ears. They want their cue wedge to mute when they’re listening to an in ear mix and their in ears to mute when they’re listening to a wedge mix.

If you assign a mix to “Wedge”, when you PAFL that mix the sound will go to the output socket assigned to “Wedge” and not go to the socket assigned to “IEM”.

When you PAFL a mix that is assigned to “IEM” the sound only goes to the socket assigned to “IEM” and does not go to the socket assigned to “Wedge”.

The headphone jack can be assigned to the “IEM” mix. If you’d got your auxes assigned to “Wedge” and “IEM” patched to the headphone socket, you wouldn’t hear your aux mixes on the headphones.

Or something else related to Wedge and IEM. If you’re using a scene recall to switch your inputs to Dante you might also be making another change without realising it.

Chris

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

Thanks Chris,
    For the short term workaround to satisfy my immediate needs, I simply plugged my headphones into the headphone jack of the wireless in-ears transmitters. My guess is the problem stems from operator error. I’ll dig in to it more tonight.

quote:

Does input PAFL work?

The PAFL on auxes works fine when its source is the regular input from the AR2412. For what it’s worth, our auxes consist of 5 stereo mixes.

quote:

Are your aux mixes showing any signal level?
    Do you have the aux master turned down and mix PAFL in AFL mode?

I’m not at the desk right now but I’m sure the aux mixes are showing level becuase they’re sending audio to the wireless transmitters and headphone amp in the rack. Aux master is also set at unity.

quote:

Are you using the “Wedge” and “IEM” channel strips?
    The GLD has an option to assign a mix to either “Wedge” or “IEM”. These can be assigned to output sockets. The “IEM” mix can be assigned to the headphone socket.

I have the Wedge and IEM showing on Bank 2 but I don’t have them assigned to anything yet. At least I don’t think so. Only after reading your explanation do I understand how they’re intended to be used. It seems the correct setup for us would be to use the IEM strip and assign it to the headphones, like you mentioned. I assume that’s configured in the setup menu?

Also, I do have a couple scenes setup for switching the Dante input on and off. Basically it’s just a couple scenes with filters that have everything blocked except the patchbay and I/O routing.

I’ll dig in tonight and give it another go. Many thanks for all your help.

Thanks,
    Joe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.