Feedback Loop Recording with Dante Interface

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Feedback Loop Recording with Dante Interface

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe Hinkens Joe Hinkens 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

I’m stumped with a problem while attempting to record drums to two channels via the Dante interface. It’s confusing because I had it working just fine yesterday. I can’t figure out what’s changed.
    Here’s a short video showing the details of what’s happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMPoMyAlLqw

This is a live rig but we record our live shows for later tweaking and virtual sound checks. Our rig consists of a drum kit with mesh heads and Smartrigger cymbals triggering an Alesis Trigger I/O. Then the Trigger I/O connects via USB to the Macbook Pro running Superior Drummer. The Macbook is then connected to the GLD 80/Dante card via Cat5.

Everything works fine except for when I attempt to record the drums. And as mentioned, everything was recording perfectly yesterday. I’ve been making tons of changes as I learn my way around the GLD 80 so I may have balled something up.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Joe

GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Switch off the record monitoring in S1. Reaper would call it record monitoring, the DAW track is playing back the signal that is coming into it.

It would be used to let you listen to the mics while the tracks were being recorded.

What I think is happening is this:

Signal coming into GLD channels 1-2, Direct out from these go out Dante 1-2, This goes to the drum channels in the DAW, which have record monitoring turned on so their signal goes out via Dante back into inputs 1 and 2 on the GLD, which have direct outs going back to the DAW via Dante.

You’re trying to record yourself recording yourself recording yourself, kind of like pointing a video camera at a mirror.

Mute the DAW.

Chris

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

Switch off the record monitoring in S1. Reaper would call it record monitoring, the DAW track is playing back the signal that is coming into it.

It would be used to let you listen to the mics while the tracks were being recorded.

What I think is happening is this:

Signal coming into GLD channels 1-2, Direct out from these go out Dante 1-2, This goes to the drum channels in the DAW, which have record monitoring turned on so their signal goes out via Dante back into inputs 1 and 2 on the GLD, which have direct outs going back to the DAW via Dante.

You’re trying to record yourself recording yourself recording yourself, kind of like pointing a video camera at a mirror.

Mute the DAW.

Chris

Your fix sounds spot on Chris. I’ll try it tonight when I get home from the ‘salt mine’. As you probably have guessed, this stuff is new to me. I was staring at it into the wee hours of the night and just didn’t have the wits to figure it out. I think the default in Studio One is to enable the monitor feature each time a track is armed to record. I’ll find that setting and turn it off.
    Many thanks from this rookie.

Thanks,
    Joe

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

Chris,
    Thanks for much for the help getting me sorted. It’s good as gold now. Working great.
    I’m stoked!

Thanks,
    Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.