pan a DCA?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rob-Spence Rob-Spence 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joeymauro
    joeymauro
    Participant

Is it possible?? Or are DCA’s already stereo??

I want to send a left and right channel to a left and right DCA and have it come out the mains as left and right(obviously), but I don’t see where to do it. Our old GL2400 allows this, but this unit doesn’t seem to.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

There is no way your GL2400 allows this, it doesn’t have DCA’s (or VCA’s as they would be in analog). It does have 4 subgroups.

The GLD will work the same way if you use subgroups. The difference is that the GL2400 has 4 mono groups that can be panned left and right to behave as “stereo” while the GLD does “true stereo” with the group being intrinsically stereo, so you’ll only have one fader and channel strip for it. You can also create mono groups which would work like your GL.

To use a stereo group:

Assign your mono input channels to a stereo group and unassign them from the LR mix. Pan them left and right as usual.

To use 2 mono groups:

Assign your mono input channels to one group each, a group for the left channels and a group for the right channels. Unassign the inputs from the LR mix. Go into the LR mix and pan the group receiving your left signals to the left and pan the group receiving your right signals to the right. You’d probably want to gang the settings on these groups.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I have a question on this though…

On a GL2400 the mono input channels essentially have stereo outputs and the left and right balance of these is controlled by the channel pan control. Even numbered groups see the left side of these outputs and odd numbered groups see the right side. I suppose each group could be called “half stereo”

On the GLD, if I pan an input channel to the left and assign it to a mono group which is panned to the right, do I get any audio? I imagine I would, and the pan control would only affect post fade stereo mixes. Is this correct?

Chris

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

correct Chris93!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by joeymauro

Is it possible?? Or are DCA’s already stereo??

I want to send a left and right channel to a left and right DCA and have it come out the mains as left and right(obviously), but I don’t see where to do it. Our old GL2400 allows this, but this unit doesn’t seem to.

Also note, you don’t send to a DCA. The DCA Is just a control to the channel faders, no audio is involved in DCAs.

While this is an old post I thought an explanation might help.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.