ME-1 help?? or GLD-80 help?

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions ME-1 help?? or GLD-80 help?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joeymauro
    joeymauro
    Participant

I have a shiny new GLD-80 system and “think” I have it mostly figured out after a few hours of playing with it… I am pretty sure I am ready to assign my channels and DCA’s….

Here is where it gets complicated(or at least I have no idea what to do) how does a ME-1 control an AUX on my board??(or does it??) I am assuming it would, otherwise I’d have to run an output from the ME-1 to an amp, then run it back to a wedge, which to me makes no sense.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS, I can make the ME-1 control the channels from the board in the headphones just fine…. just don’t see how to make it control one of my AUX’s(which is what I would assume I would use to mix monitors??)

Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

I think this is a misunderstanding of the ME-1 units. You send audio to the devices rather than using them as a control surface.

So, you can send an AUX as a channel to the ME-1s but the audio output is then at the ME-1 rather than from the GLD.

So yes if you have unpowered wedges…

Output from GLD (direct outs etc) -> ME-1 -> Output to amp -> wedge

The best use for them is going to be with IEMs (headphones) or powered wedges. But with wedges you will need to be careful so that musicians don’t give themselves too much “me” ;-)

joeymauro
    Participant

So no way to control monitors from both the me-1 and the console?? Like if someone walks away from their instirment and leaves it blaring??

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

You can feed the ME1 with channel direct outs if you want to, and these can be made post mute.

The ME1 is a mixer, like the GLD is. The normal thing to do would be to feed it signal from the input sockets, but you can send anything else to it too, such as a direct out, a subgroup, an aux mix etc.

It’s done in the I/O page under “Monitor”.

Chris

joeymauro
    Participant

I figured out how I am going to do it!!! :D

It still involves an output… but send the mix from the ME-1 to one of the inputs on the 2412, then give it a channel number, then assign that channel to an aux out… then send the aux out to the amp!! :D

That way it has to go through me to get to the monitor…. and that way I can mute a monitor if need be…. that was my goal… I didn’t really care about mix too much.

Thanks for the help… it got me to thinking of a way to make this work! ;)

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If you’re going to do that you don’t need to use an aux mix to do it. Just assign a direct out from the channel to the output socket.

EDIT: And make the direct out post fader and post mute.

Chris

joeymauro
    Participant

But then I lose my graphic equalizer right?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

If you’re going to do that you don’t need to use an aux mix to do it. Just assign a direct out from the channel to the output socket.

EDIT: And make the direct out post fader and post mute.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Good point. the ME1 seems a bit redundant though if you’re still burning up mixes on the console. IEM’s are where personal mixers really work well, the musician can have the starwars theme tune in their ears and it doesn’t matter to anyone else.

If you’re wanting remote control of the auxes on the desk the ipad app or the editor (in development) would do that for you. I’m not sure if you can lock either of them out of other mixes, but that might not be needed if you’re working with sensible people who won’t touch stuff they’ve been told not to. [:D] There’s a purpose designed app for the iLive which does do control of individual mixes, so it’s not unforeseeable.

Be careful with the ambient mic built into the ME1. I’m not sure if it’s audio can get to the XLR output or only goes through the headphone jack but no amount of GEQ would stop the feedback if that got routed to a wedge.

Chris

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

Be careful with the ambient mic built into the ME1. I’m not sure if it’s audio can get to the XLR output or only goes through the headphone jack

Hi Chris,

The Ambient mic goes to the Stereo output only. The Mono one outputs the master LR plus the local Aux In, but not the Ambient mic.

Nicola
    A&H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.