GLD Dante Inputs/Outputs

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD Dante Inputs/Outputs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BobWitte BobWitte 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Hi newbie on the forum,

I have just placed an order for a 112 and I have a question before I invest in the Dante card. I have used Dante before for recording but never the other way around.

We have a very large Musical gig coming up and the total channel count is going into the 50’s. Now I obviously dont want to sub mix if I can so I am cutting back wherever I can.

The question is we have about 8 lines coming from a mac for click’ed items of varying types. Now in the past we would have gone through a firewire interface of some kind and then straight into analogue inputs. My question is if I was to purchase another virtual sound card license for the MDs macbook can I still use the 44/48 analogue inputs as well as 8 over dante? or do the dante channels replace physical analogue inputs.

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The GLD is a 48 channel console so doing a show with an input count in the 50s will involve some creativity. [:D]

There are 48 available input channels. Currently these are configured as 44 mono input channels and 2 stereo input channels, this cannot currently be changed.

These input channels can be fed from anywhere you have signal available to the console, eg an input socket, Dante, USB etc. If you have 64 channels of Dante, 44 mic pres, 4 RCA line inputs and stereo USB playback you could have a total of 114 possible sources of audio. You can mix and match these however you like but the console can only mix 48 channels at a time. 49 if you include the talkback.

There is a “trick” to get more inputs into the mix by using the “ext in” feature on a mix bus. It allows you to inject audio from another source into a mix bus and you have 24 dB of digital trim available on it. The current V1.2 firmware will crash if you use the ext in feature and the input source isn’t a mic pre.

You can probably work around the channel limitations using scene recall. Unless you actually need 50+ channels of audio happening simultaneously you can use scenes to switch the input patch and channel settings around as you need it. I’d avoid doing this with anything phantom powered, I don’t like the idea of switching 48V on and off during a show. It might be OK if you have those inputs muted when the scene is saved, but I don’t know what order it processes the recall information in so you’d have to test it. Eg, if it switches on phantom before muting the input you might have a problem.

Let us know how it goes,

Chris

Profile photo of pdherring
    pdherring
    Participant

Do you know what Chris your a superstar! You have answered my question perfectly! I now have lots of viable options.

I could loose some of the Roland vDrums using a non phantom powered DI rack into ext in function into some of the mix buses for a start. Secondly as you point out I will not be using all 50+ channels all the time, other than maybe the walkdown but hey we can wing that with some careful pre recording [:D] so I could quite easily have the input patch changing with the scene changes as the 20+ radios we will be using obviously dont need phantom and neither do the clicked tracks coming from the MDs macbook [:)]

I think you have just made my day by making me realise this desk was worth every penny and then some!!

Last question how capable is the desk buffer wise etc of receiving 8 channels over Dante and also recording 48 to Dante? Separate Macs doing each task of course!

Thanks again!

P

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Glad it helps. [:)] The Dante card should be able to do 48X48 as far as I can tell, but I don’t use one. What you can do with it too though is send audio to it other than input sockets, eg send it your LR mix, send it an aux mix, matrix etc.

Jonny Weston is apparently using Dante in a theatre application here:

https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2717

He may have some useful insight on what you’re doing.

Chris

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Dante can do 64×64 with the GLD. We just did a 46 track recording using several Dante Channels in the 50’s since we recorded a stereo Matrix and the Main LR besides 42 channels. Recorded to two Macs using a network switch. One Mac was a backup. Used Reaper on the Macs and an external Firewire drive. Not a single glitch!

quote:

Originally posted by pdherring

Do you know what Chris your a superstar! You have answered my question perfectly! I now have lots of viable options.

I could loose some of the Roland vDrums using a non phantom powered DI rack into ext in function into some of the mix buses for a start. Secondly as you point out I will not be using all 50+ channels all the time, other than maybe the walkdown but hey we can wing that with some careful pre recording [:D] so I could quite easily have the input patch changing with the scene changes as the 20+ radios we will be using obviously dont need phantom and neither do the clicked tracks coming from the MDs macbook [:)]

I think you have just made my day by making me realise this desk was worth every penny and then some!!

Last question how capable is the desk buffer wise etc of receiving 8 channels over Dante and also recording 48 to Dante? Separate Macs doing each task of course!

Thanks again!

P

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante, GLD Remote

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.