ME1 Switch Settings

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions ME1 Switch Settings

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of xjcsa xjcsa 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hi guys,
    anyone used the Cisco SF302-08MP switches for ME system? I was wondering what settings I should be watching out for. Its a managed switch and my installers couldn’t get it working right off the bat with them.

thx

Gil

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Gil

The general rule of thumb for using switches with ACE/dSnake is ‘turn off everything‘. If this doesn’t work, try putting the dSnake traffic into its own VLAN; this should isolate it from any traffic being generated by the management CPU in the switch.

Hope this helps.

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Hey Jeff,

So should I turn QoS off as well?

How about the ports,
    Should they be Trunk or General?
    Jumbo Frames On or OFF?

Just trying to figure out why this wouldn’t work right off the bat.

Should I be careful with IP number as well? should it be in the same range as console?

Just trying to see if I need to send this back.

thx

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of joeymauro
    joeymauro
    Participant

When I went to buy a POE switch the Allen & Heath Rep told me to make sure I bought unmanaged….

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

quote:

Originally posted by joeymauro

When I went to buy a POE switch the Allen & Heath Rep told me to make sure I bought unmanaged….

Correct. This is what we recommend. Further reading:
    https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/702/175/me-1-compatibility-with-a-third-party-switch

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Gil

So should I turn QoS off as well? – There shouldn’t be any other traffic in with the dSnake packets, so this shouldn’t matter.

How about the ports, Should they be Trunk or General? – I think trunk ports are a way to combine more than one socket into one virtual ‘link’; this is not needed.

Jumbo Frames On or OFF? – A jumbo frames option simply increases the maximum allowable packet size through the switch, so this shouldn’t matter as the dSnake frames are well under the standard max packet size anyway.

Should I be careful with IP number as well? should it be in the same range as console? – There is not and should not be any IP traffic on the dSnake link, so this will only make a difference if you want to manage your switch from a machine on the same network that the GLD console network port is connected to.

In general, if you put the dSnake ports on your switch into their own VLAN, turn off spanning tree (STP/RSTP/MSTP), and switch off broadcast storm protection or other ‘limit the number of packets’ type features, I would expect a switch to work. Looking at your particular switch, I would also suggest disabling DHCP relay.

quote:

That is a good advice, as unmanaged switches don’t have all these other protocols and systems running in the first place. One downside is that they are often limited to only a few port of PoE at the power required by the ME-1.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

That is a good advice, as unmanaged switches don’t have all these other protocols and systems running in the first place. One downside is that they are often limited to only a few port of PoE at the power required by the ME-1.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

We just upgraded from an Aviom system to the ME-1 system. We are using a Zyxel 1100-16P switch; it works great and will power 8 ports with PoE at the level needed for the ME-1. No problems at all so far (with a few weeks of use in a church setting).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.