EQing using the RTA and pink noise

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions EQing using the RTA and pink noise

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jonnyweston jonnyweston 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Just curious – do any of y’all have a recommended procedure on using the pink noise, via a calibration mic using the onboard RTA on the desk.

I am trying to legitimize handing back and not buying the DBX drive rack that I have been borrowing LOL.

I used to EQ with my ears, but the gigs I started getting to do were giving me less and less time to actually tune the room.

What way do you guys roll with using RTA for EQ?:

• Connect calibration mic to free mic channel, (closing off all monitors and delay speakers) , position towards middle of room aimed at centre of stage
    • send pink noise to FOH
    • watch RTA on the desk, then flatten EQ accounting for excitement in the room etc
    • push gain level on pink noise on main FOH
    • continue to watch RTA on the desk, and continue to adjust

What do you guys reckon?
    Cheers guys

Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jonnyweston

Hey Guys,

I used to EQ with my ears, but the gigs I started getting to do were giving me less and less time to actually tune the room.

• push gain level on pink noise on main FOH
  • continue to watch RTA on the desk, and continue to adjust
  • What do you guys reckon?

Are you moving the mic after the initial “flattening” to see what it’s like somewhere else?

Loads of this will be stuff you already know but it’s worth a read anyway, particularly the bit showing the RTA graphs.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/article/print/the_devil_with_your_rta_dont_forget_to_use_your_ears

What I might do is accept that there will be whatever comb filtering there will be if you can’t change it then “measure” just one side of the PA to try to get the “cleanest” reading you can.

I’ve been playing with this. https://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

They’ll want you to register for their forum but you don’t have to post anything and they don’t spam your email.

It’s not SMAART, but if you have time to do a few measurements of sine sweeps in different parts of the room this will let you average those which may tell you more.

Chris

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Hey Chris,

Yes indeed mate – the hometheatreshack guys are good guys.
    Must give that REW another go again sometime soon, bnow that its available for MAC’s.

Prosoundweb is a great resource now too – i had not yet seen that doc.
    Definitely worth a read for sure.

Cheers man,
    Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.