Dante Multitack requirements

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Dante Multitack requirements

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jonnyweston jonnyweston 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of djmanco
    djmanco
    Participant

Hi. I own a GLD80. I’m thinking in buying a Danta card for multitrack recording and conecting to other consoles for monitoring.
    For multitrack… Can I use a Windows PC? Or It’s just for Mac?
    What do I need for that?

Thanks! From Argentina.

djmanco

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Mac, PC and probably Linux too.

Software that supports multitrack recording such as Reaper.

https://www.reaper.fm/

A copy of Dante Virtual Soundcard software to let Reaper etc. see the audio from the dante network.

Chris

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by djmanco

Hi. I own a GLD80. I’m thinking in buying a Danta card for multitrack recording and conecting to other consoles for monitoring.
    For multitrack… Can I use a Windows PC? Or It’s just for Mac?
    What do I need for that?

Thanks! From Argentina.

djmanco

I use a Windows 7 laptop (with dual hard drives) running PT9; it works great. I have also gotten Ableton (on a Mac) to work with Dante (for a drummer to send loops/tracks/click/etc in multitrack in a live setting), no major problems. You just need Dante Virtual Soundcard for any computer you use with it; one license comes packaged with the Dante card, and they’re currently selling additional licenses for $30 each, which is a steal.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Go to Audinate.com and read up on Dante. Lot’s of info.

We use a network switch and two or three Mac laptops running Reaper. Second mac is the backup. Use external hard drives using Firewire. Everything on a UPS….

Bob

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Profile photo of djmanco
    djmanco
    Participant

Excelent! Thanks for the info. I will buy the card. You made me decide!!!

djmanco

Profile photo of djmanco
    djmanco
    Participant

Bought the Cards. Fighting with coonfiguration and software :S

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

Chris – post questions if you need help. I struggled at first, but then it all fell into place and works great. Just recorded about a 30 track event last night. This weekend we are recording a live event – 40+ tracks.

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Profile photo of djmanco
    djmanco
    Participant

Everything orking propperly now.
    I want to know wich Window’s multitrack soft do you use. I downloaded Reaper, but will try another. I can’t use Adobe Audition :(

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Hey All,

Depending on my requirement I usually use either Reason 7 or Logic Studio pro 9 for my live multi-tracking.

I just did a 22 track wide recording of a theatre production “Suessical” last week in Reason 7, and Reason 7 is awesome for tech heads who may not necessarily know the ins and outs of the likes of Logic or Pro-Tools etc, as Reason is laid out like on of the old SSL desks in the signal structuring side of stuff.

ReasonDesktopforSuessical.jpg

Then the rest – the record transport really just looks like a giant tape recorder really LOL!

Routing is really easy and graphical in reason.
    Any editing or recording automation later on is pretty easy too.

THe onething that I was hoping to be able to do was to set up the GLD80 as a DAW mix surface controlling Faders, Mutes primarily for Reason or Logic.

I have tried many times – but have not yet succedded in getting the midi to implement correctly – including using learn command in logic or reason.

At the minute I am actually trying to locate a tascam US2400 and then when I get it – try to get someone to setup drivers for Mac OSX for me for it. I really need a surface now for Reason or logic given that I am contracted to record a number of shows between now and the new year and I need good and fast workflow.

Thanks guys
    Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.