Different Recording Mix for Speech & Music.

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Different Recording Mix for Speech & Music.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ashley Ashley 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of xj32
    xj32
    Participant

I use the GLD-80 to mix worship services with a full band (live drums, keys, guitars, amps, vox, ect) as well as Pastors and speakers.

I need to send a mix of both to the USB stick for podcasting and archiving, a video feed for webcast and a CD recorder for instant cd duplication after the service.

Currently the everything is a clone of the recording out put/mix that goes to the USB stick.

For the most part the level of the musicians is fine, but when recording the spoke word parts the level is about -20dB too quiet.

How can I set it up to boost the speech portion 18-20db and then bring it back down for the music without setting up a whole new aux mix of each instruments.

IE I dont want my volunteers to have to do a whole separate sub mix of everything each week, I just need a way to boost the whole mix as needed to the various destinations.

Thanks

Profile photo of atrakce
    atrakce
    Participant

Try use group for boost speakers and matrix as source for recording. To matrix route speakers group and main output.

GL2400-24 -> GLD80
    AR2412
    AR84
    ZED14,ZED18

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Matrix.

How are you currently using your groups? If you have a band group and a speech group you can send them into the matrix mix at different levels.

If you have some inputs which aren’t in groups you’ll have no way to get them into the matrix so they won’t be recorded…

What about setting up a matrix to receive both your LR mix and a speech subgroup containing the speaking mics? You could push the speech group to +10 in the matrix*. The speech mics would be hitting the matrix twice, once from the LR mix your PA gets and again from the subgroup. Does anyone know if this would cause phase problems due to a time delay?

*It might be better to leave the speech group at unity and pull back LR to -10 to conserve headroom.

Chris

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

What about setting up a matrix to receive both your LR mix and a speech subgroup containing the speaking mics? You could push the speech group to +10 in the matrix*. The speech mics would be hitting the matrix twice, once from the LR mix your PA gets and again from the subgroup. Does anyone know if this would cause problems phase problems due to a time delay?

Any differences in delay between the two paths should* be automatically compensated by the processing.

*(At least that’s what the GLD rep from A&H’s Canadian distributor told me when we had one in for a demo before buying. I’ve never seen that in writing or checked it myself.)

Profile photo of Ashley
    Ashley
    Participant

Time delay should not be a problem. I’ve been messing around with routing quite a bit lately. There seems to be no audible delay between routing paths.

I’m not 100% sure about this, but i think the fysical routing stays the same for all the signals, nomatter what you setup.
    The CPU does some math according to what the user has setup & the signal gets modified. The signals exit at the same time. Everything is done in a data format, there is no fysical routing like on analog consoles. So there is no delay difference between signals, there is ofcourse some ‘basic’latency on both conversions A > D & D > A. But the CPU should be fast enough to handle all the data without creating delay between signals. If not, then i’m sure the techs @ A&H have compensated for it by delaying the faster channels to match at the outputs. That way a user would never notice it.

Comment from A&H would be nice [;)]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.