Matrix Strategies

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Matrix Strategies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mturner mturner 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mturner
    mturner
    Participant

I’m a relatively new iLive user. While I’ve watched just about all of the training videos and studied every manual I can find, there are a few things that are still a wee bit puzzling.

For example, matrix configuration. Our installation is in a church and in addition to the main mix, we also have matrix outputs for 70V building speakers and assisted listening systems. We’re also going to need one for an overflow room from time to time. I’m willing to trade some mix quality on these external systems in favor of making things simpler for the FOH operator (i.e. I’d rather not create another mix that has requires a lot of attention during a worship service).

Our current configuration is using the mains mix as the contributor for the matrices. We just set the appropriate output levels, limiters, etc. on each output to drive their respective systems at appropriate levels. As you might imagine, the acoustic instruments (like drums and piano) are not as prevalent in the mains since there is already a lot of energy from those instruments in the main room. So, I need a way to add those instruments back in to the matrix outputs that are feeding systems not in the main room.

My thought right now is to simply build an Aux mix that uses post fader sends from each channel that needs to be added. That Aux bus would then be added to the matrix. My hope is that by making this a post fader mix that things will generally follow what’s happening on the main mix but with additional level from the appropriate channels.

This seems to work but is this the best way to accomplish the goal?

Mark Turner
    T112/iDR64/iDR16/Dante
    MixPad, OneMix
    Mac Mini/Logic Pro 9

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

If there’s potentially a big difference between main mix and other mixes, i would consider feeding two channels for each drum mic, so you can make a completely independent mix that works fine. Run those channels through a stereo group and mix those to the matrices that need it.

Be careful with FX, specific drums FX for the extra matrices should be routed to the group as well, rather then the main mix.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

If you need different mix then what is coming out of your L/R mains two different options come to mind.

1. (my preference) would be to set up AUX’s for your remote speakers using POST faders)

2. Set up groups do you can group things like acoustics/vox/ drums etc. and feed the MTX with the groups and you will have control that way. Just be sure you do not send the groups to L/R and the inputs to both L/R and the GRP

T112, T80, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

If you want it to be simple (to mix) then use Groups as Claroque said in option 2. There is an added advantage in that you can apply group processing that will also affect all the outputs/matrix outputs following. Take drums for example – send them to a stereo DRUM group and apply apply EQ,compression/parallel compression etc over that group. This is also useful on vocals as the group processing settings can process your feed/s to the main and Matrix mixes but don’t affect the aux or foldback monitor sends. As an example you could set up (mono or stereo)groups: DRUMS, INSTs, A Vox, B Vox ,FX etc then mix all these groups to your various Matrix outputs.
    If you are sending these groups to the main mix as well then make sure you unassign the contributing inputs from the main L/R mix or they will be double assigned.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of mturner
    mturner
    Participant

Thank you all for the replies and ideas. Very helpful.

Mark Turner
    T112/iDR64/iDR16/Dante
    MixPad, OneMix
    Mac Mini/Logic Pro 9

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.