Waves soundgrid unreliable.

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Waves soundgrid unreliable.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Albin Albin 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

So now i have had my waves server for almost a year. It is not reliably integrated in the system. I have the soundgrid server connected directly to the card via cat6 cable (1 meter), a small Cat6 to bridge the soundgrid card into the Mixrack, 100m supported Cat5E cable to the surface, and then i connect a laptop to the surface with a Cat5E cable. I had it working for a while, with only small problems. Now it’s time for festivals, and I have now experienced several times, that it cannot find the Soundgrid I/O card, but the server is found without problem. Sometimes it’s the other way around, and sometimes it works without any problem.

This is simply NOT okay for a 2000$ dollar system + the cost of plugins. I’m a professional engineer, and I expect my tools to be likewise. Is anyone out there actually experiencing reliable soundgrid integration?

Regards

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Look this specific cable to be need for WSG:
    https://www.waveslive.com/pdf/soundgrid-cables.pdf

i think you now this Supported cables?
    100 meter is long [8D]

i have 60 meter Cat7 and works perfect for me.
    iam not shure but a switch can be prefer longer distances?

Regards, Düsenklang

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I only do control through the surface/Cat5E, no Soundgrid Driver/Audio, this is a supported solution, and confirmed by waves support. Otherwise it would be impossible to use the system from more than 70m distance even with Cat6E, which would not make sense :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Okay.
    FOH closer to Stage and straight direction not even a corner [:D]

Seriously:
    in the SoundGrid Driver Control Panel: Which mode you use? Networked or Standalone?
    or you worked without this Driver??????

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I only use the Multirack software, to control the server. The Soundgrid driver is not “On”, so it is not in either standalone or networked mode. That would overload the ACE connection. This is a supported method of controlling the soundgrid server, and since the Surface does not have gigabit networking, only 100mbps, it would not make sense to demand a cat6 or cat7 cable. Cat5e should be more than fine to support a 100mbps connection at 100 meters.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

OK Cool.

Return to start.
    maybe i am wronga…..
    “MultiRack SG / SG Driver to Switch Up to 70m With a Gigabit NIC”
    in the WAVES cable document describe exact this.

MultiRack SG to Switch what is the Waves Card in your IDR. Right?
    If it so, MutliRack SG connections window (F3) show 2 Register:
    MultiRack-1 TO Allen&Heath-1
    and
    Allen&Heath-1 To MultiRack-1

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Düsenklang

maybe i am wronga…..

yep :-)

He uses a 1m cable. This shouldn’t cause a problem.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

HA! no jokes ;-)

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Yes that is the setup. But though it is not stated in the manual, if you do not use the SG driver, the multirack -> Allenheath connection only uses apr. 10mpbs bandwidth, meaning there is more than enough to run only control through ACE. I have been using this setup for a long time with few problems, that were related to cable/joints/switch problems, but it started acting up again when I started summer tour, for no apparent reason.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I think the whole thing in your case is a limitation of the system “MIXRACK”
    Digico and Avid e.g. have their “SG Server” at the FOH and send edited signal (what ever Cat… MADI) straight to Stagebox .
    Helps not but the support has told you sh.. i guess.
    If it worked for some time, you’re in luck.
    No matter what regards the sharing of bandwidth over ACE.
    70 meters CAT6 and switch + xx meters!

Profile photo of waveslive
    waveslive
    Participant

Hi Tor Bach,

I would like to suggest you to reach Waves Tech-Support with this issue, The behavior that you are describing does not sounds normal.

Either with mail via your Waves account or via phone;

Hours: Sunday – Thursday 4:00am – 8:00pm (EST),
    Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm (EST)
    Phone: 1-865-909-9200 ext. 1

Best Regards
    Noam Raz

Live Market Manager
    Waves Audio LTD

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Düsenklang

I think the whole thing in your case is a limitation of the system “MIXRACK”
    Digico and Avid e.g. have their “SG Server” at the FOH and send edited signal (what ever Cat… MADI) straight to Stagebox .
    Helps not but the support has told you sh.. i guess.
    If it worked for some time, you’re in luck.
    No matter what regards the sharing of bandwidth over ACE.
    70 meters CAT6 and switch + xx meters!

You are wrong – the Setup as told by vilddyr is what shoud work flawless – as long you bridge the control port to the Network Switch of the IDR and do not have engaged the SG Driver on your Notebook where you are using Multirack SG.

I have to say, that this setup works well for me – have you tried deinstalled Multirack Software and reinstall it?

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

Could I ask your specific setup Albin? What cable and length do you use for Mixrack to surface?

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by waveslive

Hi Tor Bach,

I would like to suggest you to reach Waves Tech-Support with this issue, The behavior that you are describing does not sounds normal.

Either with mail via your Waves account or via phone;

Hours: Sunday – Thursday 4:00am – 8:00pm (EST),
    Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm (EST)
    Phone: 1-865-909-9200 ext. 1

Best Regards
    Noam Raz

Live Market Manager
    Waves Audio LTD

Hi Noam.

I have emailed with you before, but the info I have gotten was kind of contradictory to what people in here, and A&H posters have said here. Again @Düsenklang, it is simply not rational to argue that it has to do with Cat6 cable, since the Surface Net bridge is only 100mps not gigabit and control through ACE should be supported.

Profile photo of Albin
    Albin
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by vilddyr

Could I ask your specific setup Albin? What cable and length do you use for Mixrack to surface?

ok, my setup is:
    With CAT6 cable (3m) MWAVES Card to SG Server.
    With CAT6 cable (1m) from MWAVES Control Port to IDR Network Bridge
    From Surface Network Port to Laptop via CAT6 Cable (3m) to Laptop running Multirack Software.
    My CAT5 Cable i use for ACE Connection is 70m in length. I use CAT6 Cables just because i have them (bridging into IDR and back to Laptop).

But i found that this sometimes make trouble – for best working performance (and this is working flawless no for months) my setup is now:
    With CAT6 cable (3m) MWAVES Card to SG Server
    With CAT6 cable (3m) MWAVES Card to an Lenovo Laptop (with static IP – placed on my IDR) that runs Multirack SG
    With CAT6 cable (3m) MWAVES Control Port to an Wireless Router (Netgear N900 running at 5GHZ – at the N900 there the Mixrack is also connected)
    Controlling the Lenovo Laptop on stage with another Laptop via Remote Desktop.

I also shows without Surface using this setup – where the Laptop FOH that controlls the Laptop with Multirack SG also running ILive Editor – all wireless without any problem for Months!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.