Aux mix’s

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Aux mix’s

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jono-Morgan
    Jono-Morgan
    Participant

how do I get it So the DCA’S don’t effect Aux Mix’s?

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

DCAs will affect post-fade auxes but not pre-fade auxes. DCA mutes affect both pre and post fade auxes.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Jono Morgan

how do I get it So the DCA’S don’t effect Aux Mix’s?

What are you trying to do? I’m having a hard time imagining a scenario where I wouldn’t want post-fade aux sends to follow changes to DCA faders.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

If moving the fader would change it, moving a DCA assigned to that fader will change it too.

Chris

Jono-Morgan
    Participant

Ahh how do I make aux’s pre fade?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant
    Jono-Morgan
    Participant

Ok tried this, no luck.

HEre is the scenario. I play drums at my church and use a stereo aux into a mixer for foldback. I have all the sends to it set as pre fade, but when the guy doing sound makes a change to the dca it effects the level of what ever is feeding into the dca through my foldback. As im using in ears and am behind a shield, this throws me off alot as I cant whip out the in ears and rely on stage sound as all I hear is drums.

Is There a different way I should have the gld set up?

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Jono Morgan

Ok tried this, no luck.

HEre is the scenario. I play drums at my church and use a stereo aux into a mixer for foldback. I have all the sends to it set as pre fade, but when the guy doing sound makes a change to the dca it effects the level of what ever is feeding into the dca through my foldback. As im using in ears and am behind a shield, this throws me off alot as I cant whip out the in ears and rely on stage sound as all I hear is drums.

Is There a different way I should have the gld set up?

From the block diagram it looks like it’s possible to route a group into an aux… do you have any groups routed into your aux or do you have input channels only?

The reason that I’m asking is that even if the send *out* of the group to the aux is pre-fade, the inputs going *into* the group bus will be post fade (and therefore affected by DCA).

Also, is your problem channels being muted or is it only level changes related to DCA fader movements?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The answer will be in here somewhere:

https://churchtecharts.org/home/2008/9/18/groups-vcas-and-dcas.html

https://churchtecharts.org/home/2008/9/19/groups-vcas-and-dcas-part-two.html

Stupid question, but are you sure you’re feeding your mixer with your stereo aux mix and not the Main LR or a group output or something else?

Chris

Jono-Morgan
    Participant

no groups, inputs are routed to DCA’s then out to main mix, I’ll double check the routing but fairly sure that the ST aux is routed to the right place, besides the changes to the dcas also effect the levels on the other foldback wedges but because they’re not getting somethings in the mix which my volunteer techs seem to fiddle with alot they don’t have the same apparent problem (that and no one else in the team is quite so particular about things as me.

Excuse my ignorance but would it be because a DCA technically doesn’t have anything going through it but acts as a relational fader to cover all channels routed to it? Although bearing that in miind shouldn’t setting the inputs to the aux as prefade negate this?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

You’re right. The only real explanation is that the auxes are set to be post-fade.

I’d probably check that the operator didn’t recall a show file or scene which might have undone your change to pre-fade. To confirm, when you “MIX” the aux master you should see “Pre” in the bottom right corner of the input channel LCDs. If it doesn’t say “pre”, it’s post.

Chris

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.