New 802.11 Routers w Gigabit Switch OK for Dante?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions New 802.11 Routers w Gigabit Switch OK for Dante?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

Two best reviewed seem to be these; https://routers.findthebest.com/compare/1-46/ASUS-RT-AC66U-802-11ac-vs-NetGear-R6300.

I know the wifi part won’t work with Dante, but what about the gigabit switch. Anybody tried Dante with the high-end Asus or Netgear, or their 802.11n cousins?

It would be nice to avoid having to buy a separate gigabit switch for Dante, if the Asus would do. Your opinions please.

best,

john

Strange that a harp of thousand strings should keep in tune so long

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Have a look at this KB article:

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/353/0/dante–can-i-use-a-wireless-router-that-has-an-inbuilt-gigabit-switch

Also you need to ensure that audio packets do not saturate the wireless network: avoid Dante Multicast streams or set up MAC Id / ACL filtering.

Bear in mind that for a standard FoH/Mon split + recording computer you can run the M-Dante card in switched mode, thus no need for an external switch.

quote:

It would be nice to avoid having to buy a separate gigabit switch for Dante, if the Asus would do.

You can find Gigabit switches for as little as 15 pounds. A cheap TP-Link TL-SG1008 managed 8 Dante systems 8 hours a day on our stand at ProLight&Sound this year.

Hope this helps,

Nicola
    A&H

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

I am not really a fan of the comparison stated in the support article.

Audinate themselves state:
    “Dante uses standard Voice over IP (VoIP) Quality of Service (QoS) switch features, to prioritize clock sync and audio traffic over other network traffic. QoS is available in many inexpensive and enterprise Ethernet switches. Any switch that supports Diffserv (DSCP) QoS with strict priority and 4 queues, and has Gigabit ports for inter-switch connections should be appropriate for use with Dante.

Whether the switch or router also has a wifi part or not shouldn’t really matter.
    There’s virtually no risk of Dante trying to go wireless as they prevented the Dante Virtual Soundcard from “seeing” the wifi interfaces on a computer.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of jabney
    jabney
    Participant

Thanks for the reference to the TP-Link TL-SG1008.

Where is the list of OK gigabit switches at the Audinate Dante site? I’ve looked and don’t see it.

Thanks again

Strange that a harp of thousand strings should keep in tune so long

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

DANTE does and will work over WiFi if you are careful / clever.

The DVS is programmed to not use internal WiFi cards, but if you use an external ethernet based WiFi device as your receiver it will work with the DVS set to higher latencies.

Note: You cannot connect two iLives together over DANTE wirelessly as the Brooklyn module does not have enough buffer to deal with the latency.

I recommend carrier grade wireless gear such as Ubiquiti.
    I would also not recommend high channel counts. I have transmitted and received 8 DANTE channels in both directions over wireless successfully.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by millst

DANTE does and will work over WiFi if you are careful / clever.

In Germany they achieved a speed record of 40Gbit/s via a 1km wireless link:
    https://www.smartbiz.be/nieuws/149419/wifinetwerk-breekt-snelheidsrecords/
    https://www.kit.edu/visit/pi_2013_12950.php

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.