Best way for FOH & Monitoring setup

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Best way for FOH & Monitoring setup

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Detonator Detonator 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey there.. i own a GLD-80 with both Racks AR2412 and AR84 but without any extended cards.

Soon we have a Event where i need a FOH-Mixer and a seperate Monitoring-Mixer. My suggestion was to rent a T112 for FOH and use de GLD-80 for Monitoring. What’s the best way to connect them together? I think i would need a extended-card like ACE to connect the consoles together and share then the AR-Racks from my GLD-80? Or do i need a iDR-Rack for this Setup?

Another question is how i should use the “Gain or Trim” function on both consoles? Would you prefer to leave the monitor consoles on “GAIN” to setup the rack-preamps and switch FOH-Mixer to “Trim” function? Or is it better to Setup first the preams with the monitor Mixer and then switch on both consoles to Trim? We will have serveral Bands a day so i think one console should stay in “Gain-Mode”? Or is it better to swap it after Linecheck?

Maybe there will be some own FOH Engineers with the Bands… if they want to use another digital-mixing consoles like Yamaha CL5 oder Soundcraft Vi1… is it still possible to setup the FOH-MON connection with the AR-Racks? In this case.. which extend-card would you prefer?

Thanks for your help!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

quote:

Originally posted by eotsskleet

Hey there.. i own a GLD-80 with both Racks AR2412 and AR84 but without any extended cards.

Soon we have a Event where i need a FOH-Mixer and a seperate Monitoring-Mixer. My suggestion was to rent a T112 for FOH and use de GLD-80 for Monitoring. What’s the best way to connect them together? I think i would need a extended-card like ACE to connect the consoles together and share then the AR-Racks from my GLD-80? Or do i need a iDR-Rack for this Setup?

Another question is how i should use the “Gain or Trim” function on both consoles? Would you prefer to leave the monitor consoles on “GAIN” to setup the rack-preamps and switch FOH-Mixer to “Trim” function? Or is it better to Setup first the preams with the monitor Mixer and then switch on both consoles to Trim? We will have serveral Bands a day so i think one console should stay in “Gain-Mode”? Or is it better to swap it after Linecheck?

Maybe there will be some own FOH Engineers with the Bands… if they want to use another digital-mixing consoles like Yamaha CL5 oder Soundcraft Vi1… is it still possible to setup the FOH-MON connection with the AR-Racks? In this case.. which extend-card would you prefer?

Thanks for your help!

Why don’t you just pony up and use a copper split?

Also you post in your signature that you have a QU16….is that a lie, wishful thinking or just on order? Haven’t heard of them shipping yet here in the states, are they shipping in Europe already?

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

eotsskleet
    Participant

Hey Ryan! Qu-16 is on order since the video “new shape of motion” came up! ;D But my dealer in switzerland told me the will be shipped at begin of june… but at the moment he told me something about end of june!

Proper splitter with 40Inputs is quite expensive to buy… and i’d like to leave the extra 80pieces of XLR cable at home ;D

More suggestions?

quote:

Hey Ryan! Qu-16 is on order since the video “new shape of motion” came up! ;D But my dealer in switzerland told me the will be shipped at begin of june… but at the moment he told me something about end of june!

Proper splitter with 40Inputs is quite expensive to buy… and i’d like to leave the extra 80pieces of XLR cable at home ;D

More suggestions?

You could always rent a split. Don’t see why you would need an extra 80 xlrs. The split should come with the snakes. Just order it with two 25′ pieces. Should be very easy to rent the split with the additional console.

We are hearing end of June on he Qu16 also. Was just curious if we are getting the short end of the stick over here.

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

I have done exactly what you are talking about with a DANTE card in my IDR and DANTE card in the GLD. ACE might be cheaper cards and I believe they will do the same (but might want to confirm).

BTW I have a QU-16 on order too, and was just told July…??? (was June)

T112, T80, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Thanks for your help!

I want to make sure that you’re aware that you cannot use a T112 surface without an iDR rack; the T112 is not a stand-alone mixer and cannot be used as one, and the AR racks cannot replace the iDR racks.

If you’re thinking other bands will bring consoles, you’ll almost certainly need a copper split snake.

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

I want to make sure that you’re aware that you cannot use a T112 surface without an iDR rack; the T112 is not a stand-alone mixer and cannot be used as one, and the AR racks cannot replace the iDR racks.

If you’re thinking other bands will bring consoles, you’ll almost certainly need a copper split snake.

Wouldn’t a DANTE split work with other consoles? I can route all GLD channels onto Dante….. Or they could be routed to the GLD and the pick off point can be set anywhere in the channel structure (pre everything other than one console handling the gain).

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

quote:

Thanks for your help!

The gain/trim thing would depend on how organized the event is / how much of a soundcheck you get. If you’re talking about BE’s bringing consoles it’s probably big enough for proper organization and soundchecks… In that case I’d be happier setting gains during soundcheck from the monitor console then switching both consoles to trim.

If it’s less organized and the potential for random stupid problems is higher it might be a good idea to have a console with preamp control for fixing the unexpected things.

Maybe compromise those two and swap to trim after the first song…

Look at this 3 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Ufwp3pa-U&list=PLFA62797DBC2EFF63

Chris

Profile photo of Joe Hinkens
    Joe Hinkens
    Participant

I have a question on what options our band can use for a monitor split for an upcoming gig. We run the GLD80, AR2412, and the Dante I/O card. Up to this point, our GLD80 has served as both FOH and monitor mixer with us mixing from the stage, but we have an upcoming gig where a sound company will be providing the PA and we want to use our GLD80 for our monitors(all in-ears)and a split to FOH.

For our regular rig, we use the Dante card along with a Macbook Pro and DAW to do virtual sound checks. But more importantly, we also use the Macbook and Superior Drummer 2.0 software for our drums. Our drums all have triggers, mesh heads, and Smartrigger cymbals connected to an Alesis Trigger I/O interface which connects to the Macbook via USB. The output from Superior Drummer feeds channels 1 and 2 of the GLD80 via the Dante card(Cat5). All the other inputs are conventional on the AR2412 (mics, keys, guitars and bass modelers).

So my question is… is there a practical approach to working a split into our rig when considering that channels 1 & 2 of the Dante I/O are being used for our drums?

I have a message in to the sound company asking what gear they will be using but haven’t heard back yet.

Thanks,
    Joe

GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, GLD-AR2412, MacBook Pro, Studio One 2

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Are there other bands involved or is it just you?

Chris

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

Are there other bands involved or is it just you?

Chris

I think there is another group on before us primarily acoustic instruments.

Thanks,
    Joe

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

For what it’s worth, here’s how our drum rig is set up.
    Drum+Rig.jpg

Thanks,
    Joe

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Joe –

DI (direct out) channels 1 & 2 to a couple of unused outputs.

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815 Dante

Joe Hinkens
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Detonator

Joe –

DI (direct out) channels 1 & 2 to a couple of unused outputs.

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815 Dante

Hi Tim,
    That makes good sense but we’re tapped out on our outputs of the AR2412. We’re using 2 for Mains LT & RT out, and we’re using the other 10 for 5 stereo in-ear mixes. I could add an AR84. Below is a picture if our rack for reference.
    Rack+Back+Panel.jpg

Thanks,
    Joe

eotsskleet
    Participant

You still have the outputs at your GLD-Surface! You can route there any Outputs you want to!
    Another solution would be an Analog Splitter how it is used in many scenarios that i have or you just send the Main LR to the FOH Mixer provided by the PA-Company… as you know, then they cant control every channel! (Ipad with remote app for FOH? I think the main seetings are made with your setup.. so only some volume and rare EQ-Settings have to be made during the gig!?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.