COMPUTER + IDR w/NO SURFACE???

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions COMPUTER + IDR w/NO SURFACE???

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jgrooms jgrooms 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bcwitcher63
    bcwitcher63
    Participant

I ma interested in knowing if it is possible to configure an Ilive system with computer as the only mixer. It would probably be a wired network. I have been looking for a few days and can’t seem to find setup help for this configuration. PLEASE Help!!

Thanks

bw

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Very possible… Just need a mix rack and a computer running editor software and a cable or wireless set up.

T112, T80, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

I’ve owned my iDR-32 for four years, and I’ve always used the Editor without a surface.

With the Editor, some tasks are a challenge — among other niggles, quick, multi-fader grabs are impossible without a DCA or group, tap tempo is unreliable and there’s no easy way to do a “key listen” on the dynamics — but every time I try to justify the cost of acquiring even the least-expensive surface, the R72, I can’t do it.

If you have even a passing understanding of personal computers, my feeling is that you’ll get along with the Editor and no surface.

Profile photo of bcwitcher63
    bcwitcher63
    Participant

Thanks guys for the encouraging news. I thought it was possible. I guess what I really need are configuration instructions….hate to sound like a dummy, but I’m really having a hard time.

I have 2 idr 48s and two t112s, both systems have dante installed. I am recording to a joeco.

Problem is, I’m trying to set up one of the idrs 4 a smallish/easy setup road system.

I will probably go wired, and really need instructions from the get go.

THanks so much

bw

Profile photo of MontejoSS
    MontejoSS
    Participant

Hello,

Pc or mac’s ip address should be 192.168.1.10

Just connect your pc/mac to the mixrack with an ethernet cable and run the ilive editor.

Hope this helps.

iLiveT112
    IDR48
    Mac mini, ipad

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by MontejoSS

…Pc or mac’s ip address should be 192.168.1.10 …

If the Mixers IP address is 192.168.1.1 and there’s no other gear with the given IP address on the network, then that will work but it’s not a rule.

The IP address should be in the same subnet for a direct connection and not the same as the mixer’s IP address of course.

I work with a router with DHCP and that also works perfectly.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bcwitcher63

I ma interested in knowing if it is possible to configure an Ilive system with computer as the only mixer. It would probably be a wired network. I have been looking for a few days and can’t seem to find setup help for this configuration. PLEASE Help!!

Thanks

bw

Do it all the time – I don’t even own a surface.

The most basic setup would be to simply connect your computer to the mixrack with an ethernet cable. The only requirement at that point is that two devices have unqiue IP addresses – you’re done. Launch the editor, connect to the Mixrack and mix!

Most people introduce a router which (typically) will handle the IP assignments for you using DHCP and will also allow you to use WIFI to control the mixrack via an iPad or wireless laptap from anywhere in the room.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.