GLD won`t boot

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD won`t boot

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bigbean bigbean 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hi there,
    after been shut down correctly before, my GLD refuses to boot now.

Nothing connected, latest firmware.
    Screen is illuminated white, the strips show everything (ON, Safe, Pre, DCA, the five letterblocks…) activated black but no backlight.

At the rear side, Power LED is on, Ready LED is off, inside (behind Ch21 there`s a red LED on, behind the left fan there`s a blue LED “breathing” every 1.5 seconds.
    When I switch it off, all blue MIX LEDs light up for a moment.

Any tips or key combinations to propose?
    I´m stuck…..
    [xx(]
    Thanks
    Pit

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

How long have you let it sit there? Mine occasionally takes a couple minutes on the new firmware – similar to the issue of waiting for a DHCP address.

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, TJ,
    I got the firmware update the day it was released and did a couple of gigs since, so this might not be the problem….

any hints are highly appreciated
    [:)]

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

OK
    I’ll play
    and I’m ready for the flames coming at this reply from all corners of the globe.

1. It’s likely going back for qualified service.
    2. There is probably some secret handshake to boot these things into a diagnostic mode (something like apply the power while holding these three keys down) if you can get somebody authorized to walk you through this it would be very wise to do that before you try any of the gonzo stuff listed below.
    3. If you can’t get anywhere you could try this stuff before you ship it.

A. boot the unit with a previous version of the firmware on
    a usb drive.

or
    b. soon after turning the unit on pull the mains power cord.
    then
    c. soon after turning on the unit pull the mains power cord then plug it back in before the caps drop the power supply all the way down.
    The general idea is to disrupt the current boot process in a way that causes the unit to reload the most basic instruction set and more completely rebuild it’s software during boot up.

Another basic idea is it’s FUBAR anyway so let’s bang it around a little before we ship it. In that regard I like the 3 inch free drop to reseat all the edge connectors etc without taking the unit apart. I refer to this last technique as offering it “a few taps of encouragement”. This will also work with people sometimes but it can result in arrest and imprisonment.

If this doesn’t make the mixer rethink it’s position on not booting see item 1.

Best of luck with your unit.

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

What’s about the contrast of the Display? For me it sounds just like the Display doesn’t work!? I don’t have my GLD in front of me but i thought u was playing around with the contrast and with bad settings i didn’t see anything….

it’s just a suggestion!

GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84 / Qu-16

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

So what happened bro?

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, guys,
    been travelling over the weekend.

@ eotsskleet: the display seems not to be the problem since the whole desk (including color channel strips and LEDs) hangs at the very beginning of the boot process.

@ bigbean: good suggestions, thanks for that.
    Unfortunately there seems to be no boot process to interrupt, as stated, the desk hangs right from the start.
    Booting with a firmware USB didn`t help either (good idea, though).
    Just contacted with the German distributor for service suggestions.
    I´ll keep you informend.
    greetings…
    Pit

UPDATE:
    I just talked to the service technician, hes thinks that the touchscreen computer is broken, they’ve had that twice.
    Have an appointment tomorrow morning.

Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hi there,
    I just got back from service, they replaced the main processor board.
    Up and running again…

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re up and running.[:)]

Anything can have a problem. It’s what happens next that determines the value of the product.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.