Crash prevention.

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Crash prevention.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KWB KWB 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Suman
    Suman
    Participant

In the gld forum reading about a lot of console got crashed.
    Is there is any particular way of preventing the console from geting crasahed any time.
    What we should do or not do with the console so that it does not get crashed.
    Thanx.

[suman]

quote:

Originally posted by Suman

Is there is any particular way of preventing the console from geting crasahed any time.
    Thanx.

[suman]

I own two GLDs and have too many shows on them to count. No crashes. I read about crashes and try to keep up with what the causes were.

Keep in mind that these are computers, there is always the possibility of something causing a glitch. Probably has more to do with user error then anything else. You will notice when you read these posts that it is the same people having the problems each time. Are they just unlucky or do they possibly press too many buttons at the same time or a certain sequence of buttons??? It’s hard to tell yet.

The consoles have only been out for a year, I would imagine that more bugs will be found. I don’t worry about it. I only use high quality name brand thumb drives that I know work. I keep my firmware up to date. Any guest users are locked out of certain features. It’s basic common sense that will prevent crashes.

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

Ryan Loudmouth Jenkins:

I find your answer both offensive and tremendously stupid!

Implying that the users “press to many buttons at the same time” or “a certain sequence of buttons” should cause problems is just plain dumb.
    Also your assumption of the same people having problems over and over again…

Your last comment “It’s basic common sense that will prevent crashes” is just to idiotic to comment at all… Get real man!

The only thing a user can do is make sure that the firmware is up to date, and to use a high quality USB-stick. Other than that the console should just work as intended!

My GLD has crashed, went to service, came back and crashed again. Then they swapped it with a brand new one, and i have not had any trouble since. So: user errors, i think not.

But hell, what do I know? I’ve only been working as a professional FOH-engineer for 20 years, on a wide range of analogue and digital consoles…

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

quote:

Originally posted by Volum

Ryan Loudmouth Jenkins:

I find your answer both offensive and tremendously stupid!

Implying that the users “press to many buttons at the same time” or “a certain sequence of buttons” should cause problems is just plain dumb.
    Also your assumption of the same people having problems over and over again…

Your last comment “It’s basic common sense that will prevent crashes” is just to idiotic to comment at all… Get real man!

The only thing a user can do is make sure that the firmware is up to date, and to use a high quality USB-stick. Other than that the console should just work as intended!

My GLD has crashed, went to service, came back and crashed again. Then they swapped it with a brand new one, and i have not had any trouble since. So: user errors, i think not.

But hell, what do I know? I’ve only been working as a professional FOH-engineer for 20 years, on a wide range of analogue and digital consoles…

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Obviously Willy, you do not know how to read! I posted a question “Are they just unlucky or do they possibly press too many buttons at the same time or a certain sequence of buttons??? It’s hard to tell yet.”

So before you put on your holier than thou hat, read the posts a little better. A lot of us have been at this longer than you, including me. We all know that computers can crash, software bugs can show up unexpectedly and software/memory time sours can occur for many reasons. Every digital console manufacturer has had glitches and they all address them as they arise. A good number are caused by the end users!

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR84

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I haven’t had any crashes either, only a small glitch where the FX sends wouldn’t pass audio. Reloading the show file fixed this.

It may be that some people work in a way that makes crashes more likely, but there shouldn’t be a sequence of buttons that makes it crash.

Chris

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

Loudmusic:

Well, in my mind that’s a silly question in the first place…
    And your answer does not explain the rest of your conclusions… :)
    But wait, I can’t read, so I guess i got it all wrong! And I can’t write either, at least not in English, so I think I’ll rest my case now :)

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Suman

Thanx.

[suman]

Suman, We haven’t had any crashes yet. Keep in mind that if you didn’t have a crash, you wouldn’t post that on this site. Several professionals have had crashes. As stated, all digital consoles have issues, they get addressed and hopefully the software developers have great regression testing methods that minimize the risk of additional bugs being introduced into the software as features are added.

Now, there may be software bugs that are encountered when certain steps/settings are made. Again, these are very unusual and I don’t recount any for the GLD that cause a complete crash.

Suman, also most people on this forum are very helpful. Once in awhile some tempers flare but usually, even with basic questions, the responses are professional and helpful.

So, keep the software up-to-date. Keep an eye on this forum and keep using the console and ask any questions you have.

Bob

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Profile photo of spotkat
    spotkat
    Participant

We’ve had our console for a few months now. One of our other guys has had a couple crashes, but they’ve been related to scene storing and USB stick issues. I haven’t personally experienced any crashes, and the console has been rock-solid for me, even in button-heavy situations.

My general tips…

Only have a USB stick inserted when necessary, and when you remove it, be sure to wait 10 seconds after you perform a USB function before removing it. Premature removal can cause the console to get finicky.

I don’t use the on-board recorder, for the simple reason that I want to avoid USB stick errors.

Keep your scene names short. They’ve reportedly fixed this issue, but you never know!

And above all, keep your cool! Just like kids, digital mixers can smell fear!

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Sunam-

To answer your original question I would:

• Back up to show files at the end of each session
    • not use a USB drive with bloatware or other non
      A&H files on it (except sound files)
    • not hot swap usb drives (unless you have to)if you do, wait 30 seconds after a save or an audio file stop

I think having “pen pals” of other sound guys around the world is very cool.[:)]

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

Profile photo of Suman
    Suman
    Participant

Thanx all of you.

[suman]

Profile photo of KWB
    KWB
    Participant

Really just my two cents:

Been using the desk for quite a few months now. We upgrade firmware as it becomes available, we put our varied USB sticks in and leave them in or take them out and use another one for playback. We record the worship to USB and play it back. iPad is connected and used for monitors by some of the guys. Almost every available input is used and sound is distributed all over the place. Skilled and unskilled techies. Basically every possible recipe for disaster but so far no glitches..
    Am loading scenes this weekend for HOW purposes and visiting engineers and will see if this results in any collapses.

I cant recall but I believe our power supply is properly sorted.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.