Decibel Control

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Decibel Control

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kentlowt kentlowt 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of makumm
    makumm
    Participant

Hi, Is there any built in controls to set an upper level for decibel output on the iLive? Are there plans to incorporate this in any of the future updates? Is this a feasable idea or am I just dreaming?

Thanks… MAK [:D]

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Are you talking about a brick-wall limiter, or a measurement microphone that will adjust output based on room volume?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Just get a dsp and put it in your amp rack. Then set the limiters to kick in once it gets past the level you want. To me this is something better done in the amp rack on the dsp rather than on the mixer but, you could still use the limiters on the main outputs.

The main problem with what you are asking is what weighting to use and what time slice to take. Do you want average, peak or what?

For about $40 you could buy a cheap db meter and just set the limiters where you want and leave it.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

I had a kind of same thoughts! It would be great to have a db meter included in the ilive (and GLD as well) where you can see the peak-level, average, Leq etc. But it must have some different options to choose which messure-microphone you are using to correct the input level to get the correct db value! If you could record the measurement as well it would be great especially for events that have to be recorded (db log file)!
    The solution to buy a NTI digitalizer is too expensive for my thoughts! Or are there other cheaper solutions? (@kentlowt: i have a 40$ db meter but i can’t record the log file with that)

Profile photo of kentlowt
    kentlowt
    Participant

Well not that you can record a log with, you would have to jump up to one that had logging capabilities that start at a about a couple hundred. You could also look for a computer based program that could do that and run a measurement mic into a computer interface but, your still stuck with the same problem. Calibration. Without a calibrated microphone measurements are close to useless. There are actually some iPhone apps that record db history. That would be a really cheap way of doing it.

112T/IDR48/IDR16

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.