Need a little config help with auxes… (resolved)

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Need a little config help with auxes… (resolved)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pngaudioguy pngaudioguy 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pngaudioguy
    pngaudioguy
    Participant

Resolved – I had a senior-itis moment and forgot about the Mute key…

All,

I don’t have the luxury of having a monitor engineer, so dual-hat as FOH + monitors for my work. I discovered the other day that when I turn off a channel in the main mix, it’s still live in the aux sends (monitors) in the default configuration of the pre-fader aux send. I looked through the iLive and iDR guides, but couldn’t seem to find anything about how to configure an aux to be pre-fader, but post-on.

Naturally, I want the monitors to have a separate mix, but when I turn off the channel, I don’t want it to go to any of the monitors, either, so post-fader is clearly not what I want. There’s lots of choices for after EQ, after comp, after gate, after limiter, after… Which setting do I need to use to accomplish what I’m looking for?

Thanks in advance,

CS

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Well, monitors are pre fader in most cases. The only way to get rid of the signal in mains AND monitors without having them post fade, is to use mute.

ddff

pngaudioguy
    Participant

So you’re saying I have to turn off the send to every mix? That doesn’t seem very quick for a live sound context.

Profile photo of riggs1963
    riggs1963
    Participant

Hi…you can set up a DCA to act as a mute group and assign it to a soft key if you like or if you are using DCA’s to mix to FOH, mute them instead…Cheers

T112|iDR48+ACEcard|Laptop|iDR16|iPad|iPS10

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

How would you achieve the task on analog console? It’s always a good reference.

ddff

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by pngaudioguy

All,

I don’t have the luxury of having a monitor engineer, so dual-hat as FOH + monitors for my work. I discovered the other day that when I turn off a channel in the main mix, it’s still live in the aux sends (monitors) in the default configuration of the pre-fader aux send. I looked through the iLive and iDR guides, but couldn’t seem to find anything about how to configure an aux to be pre-fader, but post-on.

Naturally, I want the monitors to have a separate mix, but when I turn off the channel, I don’t want it to go to any of the monitors, either, so post-fader is clearly not what I want. There’s lots of choices for after EQ, after comp, after gate, after limiter, after… Which setting do I need to use to accomplish what I’m looking for?

Thanks in advance,

CS

I think you might (possibly) be doing monitors wrong? You should only have what you need in the monitors, their sends can be managed via scenes too if needed. Also hit mix on a channel and just knock that out of the monitors.

I mix monitors from foh all the time and I never have this issue

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

pngaudioguy
    Participant

Turns out I had overlooked that Mute button. I’d gotten so used to the other way of thinking, where On/Off means On or Off, not mix assign.

I put very little in the monitors. Whenever a mic is not in use, I don’t want it adding to the stage. So downstage solo mics, for instance, whenever there is not a soloist standing in front of it, I turn it off. Typically the only thing in my front wedges is vocal mics and solo mics. Occasionally if it’s a difficult venue the band will request a little piano or guitar so they can keep a pitch reference and sometimes a little overhead for timing reference. I don’t think I’m mixing monitors wrong, thanks ;)

My philosophy on mixing live sound for big bands is for the audience to not even know I’m there, and to think that everything they’re hearing is just coming acoustically off the stage.

I forgot to mention in my original post that due to space constraints at most of our venues, I seldom have a FOH position. In fact, when we purchased the iLive system a few weeks ago, we didn’t even get a control surface to go with it based on our positive experience controlling other digital consoles remotely via iPad. I am finding that I need to also have the editor up due to limitations in the A&H app, so now I’m going to have to insist on finding a table and creating a mini-FOH.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

If that’s your setup well done gates could accomplish this too, but mute or dca is also an option

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I’ve created a few DCA groups that I use almost exclusively for muting. One soft key can mute all inputs. I leave one input out of the mute group to use for house music. I also have DCA groups to mute all monitor/AUX channels when needed.

iDr48/T-112/MADI/Dante

pngaudioguy
    Participant

tk2k and dburris – your suggestions are both great for ways to mute multiple channels. Unfortunately, A&H have decided to leave the softkeys out of the app, so you have to put your DCA fader into a custom layer, make sure it’s accessible so you can grab it, etc.

I think the core issue I was having was just a brain spaz about the mute button. I’ve been living in Yamaha land for so long that to me On/Off turns on or off the entire signal for that channel. Just a mental switch here and I’m good to go. I’ll go back and edit the subject (if I can on this forum) to indicate resolution.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.