Full MIDI, OSC, or TCP/IP control, please :)

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Full MIDI, OSC, or TCP/IP control, please :)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pngaudioguy pngaudioguy 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pngaudioguy
    pngaudioguy
    Participant

Dear Allen & Heath,

Please consider allowing full control of the iLive MixRacks via either MIDI, OSC, or TCP/IP, to include EQ, compression, gate, and limiter/de-esser parameters and meters, scenes, etc. Obviously the control system is in place given your native app can do all of this over wifi, and the manual states that the control surfaces simply use TCP/IP protocol.

Thanks in advance!

CS

pngaudioguy
    Participant

I went back and reread the TCP/IP and MIDI protocol guides for 1.9. In the TCP/IP guide, it specifies that the control sends MIDI messages over TCP/IP. The question then becomes whether or not the TCP/IP MIDI messages are the same sysex that would be required over the MIDI ports… in theory, analyzing the data being sent over the network could be used to determine a sysex stream between appropriate F0 SOX and F7 EOX values…

Profile photo of mrp123
    mrp123
    Participant

+1

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Dear A&H,
    Opening up only a subset of the control functions to the MIDI and TCP/IP protocols to date is disappointing, and hinders the creativity of your users. I’ve long envisioned doing more with my iLive if only I had access to more controls over MIDI. Others have ideas too. Please open up full control to MIDI / TCP/IP. Considering Editor has the very remote control capabilities that were looking, for albeit in a closed environment, can you please go the distance and allow 3rd party access to these same controls to satisfy our unique applications?

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I must say I disagree with you guys, and must jump to Allen & Heaths defense here. The iLive is supposed to be a professional environment, and that does not mean supporting all sorts of homebrewed solutions. It is already hard to get people to recognize the very healthy sound of the iLive system, which is actually the only thing besides sound craft/studer and midas out there, that really sounds very very good.

But the build quality and feel of the fixed format racks and surfaces is sub-par unfortunately, and opening up to an endless amount of weird midi-solutions out there, will only make the rider acceptance decrease even further.

The iLive is a great system, let A&H work on improving it, not worry about solutions that will eventually hurt surface sales – the surfaces are already too expensive.

pngaudioguy
    Participant

vilddyr – Interesting viewpoint. I agree that it does open it up to an array of possibilities, and I can imagine that as a result getting one on a rider correctly would be a challenge. For the work I do, a rider is not important, because I work with one dedicated group that carries all our own equipment, so haven’t had to deal with a rider in quite some time.

Due to the cost of the control surfaces, we opted not to get one. We had been mixing all our shows from an iPad for the last year or two anyway, using a custom interface I’d designed on Lemur to control a Yamaha console – which, includes a list of full MIDI protocol, yet is on almost every budget rider out there… The console sat on stage and basically did what the iLive rack is doing for us now, except it took up more space.

It seems that people have been requesting an easier way to switch mixes on the app from A&H for several years now, yet it has not been integrated. If I knew the sysex commands, I could drop them in my template and be up and running in a matter of hours. Granted, had I known the sysex commands, I wouldn’t have given A&H an extra $100 for the app, so they’ve got that going for not making the protocol public.

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by vilddyr

The iLive is a great system, let A&H work on improving it, not worry about solutions that will eventually hurt surface sales – the surfaces are already too expensive.

Weird reasoning. You’d be surprised how iDR-sales could be raised by allowing crowd-sourcing.
    Closing off environments has never helped sales on the long term, although some companies seem to keep on thinking like that.

And only people that use/own an iDR are potential surface clients!

Actually I would love to be able to share lemur-projects with interfaces optimized for certain use (small bands, theater,…).

Just think of this iLive online community that would work together on ideal interfaces, rather than just complaining about the official interface :-)

There’s not a single reason to think that this could hurt the image of the brand. It just offers even more possibilities.

There is indeed a market out there of people that want to mix professionally whilst keeping stuff completely portable! That’s definitely a part of A&H’s iLive market, or it could be if they recognize the potential.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I’m not sure that would be the correct move. It would also open up a world of support tickets for. Like buying a macbook and installing windows on it, in my book, asking for trouble.

Again, I would prefer more and cheaper surfaces – things that could easily be integrated in the same way. Like a small 8 fader + master surface. Done right, you could make some really innovative stuff to work as sidecars for a laptop with editor.

pngaudioguy
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by vilddyrIt would also open up a world of support tickets for.

I would prefer more and cheaper surfaces.

A&H could easily just say, sorry – we don’t provide support for aftermarket products used with our system, only our official products. No need to have support tickets for that. Their policy could be clearly stated that should you choose to use 3rd party controls, you’re on your own to make sure they work right.

Weren’t you already saying that their interfaces feel cheap as is? Why would you want cheaper surfaces? If their expensive surface feels cheap, imagine how flimsy an inexpensive surface would feel!

I fully agree with woutert that it would allow us to stop complaining about missing features in the A&H app. You could supplement their system with whatever feature it is you personally feel is missing using your own template. You could share that template with the community for whoever else feels the desire to do something similar, of course, with the caveat that they’ll have to adjust parameters to match their system configuration. Anyone who is delving into Lemur will know that anyway, though.

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

Just an example: If I could tap-tempo by MIDI, I’d giggle like a schoolgirl.

Profile photo of Sylvester
    Sylvester
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by timtrace

Just an example: If I could tap-tempo by MIDI, I’d giggle like a schoolgirl.

That, and support for Mackie Control, and i’d be happy as a clam! :)

Profile photo of jgrooms
    jgrooms
    Participant

quote:

…that does not mean supporting all sorts of homebrewed solutions. …

There is a big difference between publishing your protocol specifications and supporting user developed products.

Most companies that publish their specs do not provide support for third party applications/hardware that use that specification (precisely for the reasons you site). That support is up to the vendor providing the add-on solution/hardware.

I don’t see how publishing this information would hinder Allen and Heath whatsoever.

Jason

Profile photo of frozenwaffles
    frozenwaffles
    Participant

Really?

Jeremy Koch
    Innovative Production Services – http://www.innovative.net.au

Current stock:
    2x T112, 1x T80, 2x R72, 2x iDR-48, 3x iDR-16, 2x xDR-16
    4x Dante Cards, 3x ACE Cards

pngaudioguy
    Participant

Yes, I’d really like to have a complete MIDI sysex spec sheet available :)

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by jgrooms

quote:

…that does not mean supporting all sorts of homebrewed solutions. …

There is a big difference between publishing your protocol specifications and supporting user developed products.

Most companies that publish their specs do not provide support for third party applications/hardware that use that specification (precisely for the reasons you site). That support is up to the vendor providing the add-on solution/hardware.

I don’t see how publishing this information would hinder Allen and Heath whatsoever.

Jason

+1

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

+ 1 especially direct Mackie Control support!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.