Bridging iLive control network over Dante network

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Bridging iLive control network over Dante network

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tk2k tk2k 10 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sylvester
    Sylvester
    Participant

Hi all,
    I seem to be running in circles while trying to get the facts about how to get ilive editor on the same network as Dante.

Here is the setup as i want it:
    1) iDR48 with Dante card. (of course)
    2) 1st computer on-stage with backtracks to iDR via Dante
    3) 2nd computer on-stage that multitrack records 33+ channels from Dante
    4) 3rd computer in FOH with iLive Editor which streams PFL from Dante

Now, as i can see, we need a Gigabit switch that “…should support Diffserv (DSCP) Quality of Service (QoS) with strict priority and 4 queues, as these features are used to prioritize clock sync and audio traffic over other network data. Although some users found it was working with standard Gigabit switches, a list of recommended devices is available on the Audinate website.”
    …The thing is, that the list at audinates website is not to be found, so i am pretty much lost.
    Anyone that has a specific product recommendation they would like to share?

Best regards
    Sylvester

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Dante is adaptable:
    Dante will run on a standard switch
    Dante SHOULD run on a managed switch, where you can set priority for its traffic (VOIP) as well as time sync, etc. Most professional switches do this ( Cisco SG300, Cisco SG200, Netgear GS724T configured as shown here https://us.focusrite.com/rednet-ethernet-switch-requirements)

Dante IDEALLY would need an AVB compliant switch. Their technojargen there basically spells out AVB compliant. AVB consists of the following technologies automatically configured for you out of the box, auto-synced, and auto-managed. BSS makes a version of the netgear GS724T with a special AVB firmware, but it costs 6x what the normal switch costs.

IEEE 802.1AS: Timing and Synchronization for Time-Sensitive Applications (gPTP),
    IEEE 802.1Qat: Stream Reservation Protocol (SRP),
    IEEE 802.1Qav: Forwarding and Queuing for Time-Sensitive Streams (FQTSS), and
    IEEE 802.1BA: Audio Video Bridging Systems

But dante AVB implementation is really targeted at large facility installs, and massive distribution systems. It would most likely be overkill for what you are trying to do.

I would strongly recommend you go with a GS724T, work beautifully for our RedNet setup.

There’s more info on Dante topology here https://support.labgruppen.com/attachments/token/tschqsxhklztxka/?name=AUD-ANO-Recommended+Network+Topologies.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by Sylvester

Hi all,
    I seem to be running in circles while trying to get the facts about how to get ilive editor on the same network as Dante.

Here is the setup as i want it:
    1) iDR48 with Dante card. (of course)
    2) 1st computer on-stage with backtracks to iDR via Dante
    3) 2nd computer on-stage that multitrack records 33+ channels from Dante
    4) 3rd computer in FOH with iLive Editor which streams PFL from Dante

Now, as i can see, we need a Gigabit switch that “…should support Diffserv (DSCP) Quality of Service (QoS) with strict priority and 4 queues, as these features are used to prioritize clock sync and audio traffic over other network data. Although some users found it was working with standard Gigabit switches, a list of recommended devices is available on the Audinate website.”
    …The thing is, that the list at audinates website is not to be found, so i am pretty much lost.
    Anyone that has a specific product recommendation they would like to share?

Best regards
    Sylvester

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of millst
    millst
    Participant

I used managed switches in all my racks.
    I plug everything into the switch, just connect the iLive control port (not ACE), Dante port and your wireless AP all into the managed switch.
    Then if I am doing a DANTE split, I just connect a single CAT 5E cable between the two racks and into each of the switches.
    This gives me control and audio to any surface or device on the network and it works perfectly.
    I have even been able to send DANTE out to remote laptops via dedicated wireless links.

Most managed switches on default settings work fine as the settings are usually optimised for VOIP.

The switches I am using are older rack mount switches that I picked up on Ebay for a steal, these have come from retired data centers and probably cost thousands of dollars originally.

I am using a combination of DELL PowerConnect switches and Linksys SWR switches which also have POE which drives my wireless AP’s.

Profile photo of Sylvester
    Sylvester
    Participant

How about regular off the shelf affordable ones? I might be pushing it, but i was kinda hoping of being able to find a 4-6 port switch below 100$ that could do what i needed it to do..

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Sylvester

How about regular off the shelf affordable ones? I might be pushing it, but i was kinda hoping of being able to find a 4-6 port switch below 100$ that could do what i needed it to do..

“If ya can’t afford it ya don’t need it” adage applies here. $240 is dirt cheap for what you are trying to do. You could certainly try a dumb switch, some say it works fine, but your setup is more complicated, which is where the managed and priority based filtering becomes useful.

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.