“Select” in channel strip should switch screen

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions “Select” in channel strip should switch screen

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cctrieloff cctrieloff 11 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of nettings
    nettings
    Participant

I find it irritating that the green “select” buttons in the channel strip section (i.e. head amp, eq, gate, compressor etc.) only have an effect if the screen is in processing mode.

Since the only function of those select buttons is to put the respective section on the screen for more detailed contol, I don’t see the rationale behind having to switch manually to “processing” mode before these buttons take effect.

The screen should automatically switch to processing whenever any green select button in the channel strip section is pressed, and display the respective control screen. Extra points for remembering the previous screen and restoring it when the same green select button is pressed again.

First-time users in particular will find the overall discoverability of the desk much improved if these friendly green buttons will _always_ work as expected – think trade show tinkering ;)

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Hi Jörn,

I’ll put this onto the (long) feature request list. It doesn’t do this at present as it is not the only function of the select keys, the second function is to listen (via PFL), to the signal at this point in the signal path. Some engineers wish to have another screen (e.g. metering) on the touch screen at all times whilst mixing, and this is why we don’t switch to “Processing” by default.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Could this be looked at too? Is there a reason why it works this way?

https://iliveforum.allen-heath.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2347

It’s the only thing that really confused me on the console.

Thanks,

Chris

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

Another useful function of the green SEL keys is when using COPY/PASTE/RESET of a particular processing section or a whole channel. What about a user option / preference on press and hold of the SEL key; could either bring up the audio monitor at that point or force the sceen to the processing view as its clear the operator is wanting to work with that section in detail?

##

quote:

Originally posted by nettings

I find it irritating that the green “select” buttons in the channel strip section (i.e. head amp, eq, gate, compressor etc.) only have an effect if the screen is in processing mode.

Since the only function of those select buttons is to put the respective section on the screen for more detailed contol, I don’t see the rationale behind having to switch manually to “processing” mode before these buttons take effect.

The screen should automatically switch to processing whenever any green select button in the channel strip section is pressed, and display the respective control screen. Extra points for remembering the previous screen and restoring it when the same green select button is pressed again.

First-time users in particular will find the overall discoverability of the desk much improved if these friendly green buttons will _always_ work as expected – think trade show tinkering ;)

Leon A&H UK. Please do not adjust your set; normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

nettings
    Participant

antonya, Leon BigEars, thanks for your replies. I wasn’t aware of the additional select button functions (listen and copy/paste selectively) – thanks for pointing them out.

I still think the default behaviour for first-time users should be “pop up the relevant screen automatically” for a more rewarding user experience. But I can see how advanced users would prefer the current state of affairs, so if my suggestion ever gets implemented, it should be configurable.

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant

I would also prefer the “select” to automatically show the function that you have selected, and not the one chosen by the right side keys. There is far too much pressing of buttons on the GLD to get to where you need to go in a live situation.

While we are on the subject: why on earth does not the “Select” and the “Mix” switch also clear when you engage the “clear PAFL” softkey (9)? This should at least be an option. Then it would be simple: on touch of the softkey, and you’re back to L&R with no possibility to be adjusting the wrong mix, or on a seleted channel on a hidden layer. Please A&H, make this happen.
    The Yamaha series has had the “home”-key for years now…

Also I would like to see a “peak hold” option in the meters section, and again (I have asked three times) I seriously need more than 1.36 seconds of delay-time in the FX section.

And multiband compression would be nice too :)

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hello Willy,
    The “clear PAFL” button is just for doing this: clear the pre/after-fade listening situation.

If you need an emergency exit (this was the FIRST thing I set up in my personal template), dedicate a key to “select mix L-R”.
    This does exaxtly what you`re asking for. I have it on button #10. It lights up red if you`re safe ( mix l/R), no matter if L/R is showing on your active layer. Very convenient!

hope that helped…..
    pit

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I do the same thing with softkey 10. LS9 style “Home” button.

Volum, check in the softkey setup that you don’t have some sort of multi-function (similar to “sel/mix/pafl”) set up for softkey 9.

Chris

nettings
    Participant

That’s a very neat trick! Is this by any chance part of the template sessions? If not, it should be!

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

I recommend to start with a template and personalize it to your needs and wishes. You can then save it, lock it and use as your own starting point.
    I included the “emergency exit”, changed the color setup and set up the GRPs, AUXes and MTXes to get the most out of the 20 mixbusses. I also loaded my favorite set of FXs.
    You could also activate all of the HiPass filters and comps, as eotsskleet proposed in another thread and set EQs to your preferred start values.
    Works good for me…

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

That’s what i did… my own default-template as well with a “Home-Button” (mine is on Softkey9 to have the Tap still on Softkey10 ^^)
    Works fine for me and i have saved as well all my different Monitor and FOH GEQ-Settings for the most venues.
    I just worry about having activatet all the compressors and HPF on each channel to slow down the console? Or would A&H say that the processor isn’t affected more because of the “Default-ON” value?

GL2400 32CH ==> GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

I’m on iLive but I have never needed a “home” key for mix or select – if you hit ANY mix key twice you will be back at the main mix. Same goes for select (turn processing off). I find a double tap on those keys is very quick and you don’t use up a soft key!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Volum
    Volum
    Participant
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Pit Lenz

Hello Willy,
    The “clear PAFL” button is just for doing this: clear the pre/after-fade listening situation.

No, Pit Lenz :)
    The “clear PAFL” button just clears the PAFL. What I would like is a “Clear PAFL/MIX/Select” button (understanding that the L&R then would be selected as “MIX”, but I would like the “Select” and “PAFL” to be inactive. This for the simple reason of knowing I’m on the Main mix layer, if you like, with “nothing” else selected.

“If you need an emergency exit (this was the FIRST thing I set up in my personal template), dedicate a key to “select mix L-R”.
    This does exaxtly what you`re asking for. I have it on button #10. It lights up red if you`re safe ( mix l/R), no matter if L/R is showing on your active layer. Very convenient!”

This does almost what I am asking for, but maybe I’m asking too much :)
    There is a new function in the softkey setup called “Sel/Mix/PAFL Scene” (with the option of not choosing a scene) that almost does the job for me, but the problem is that it leaves
    the “PAFL” and the “Select” active for the L&R channel, which means more pressing of buttons to clear these…

Willy

Willy
    FOH-tech.
    GLD-80
    AR2412
    AR84

Profile photo of cctrieloff
    cctrieloff
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by antonyja

the second function is to listen (via PFL), to the signal at this point in the signal path.

Did not know this — that is a REALLY cool feature — I will be using this a LOT.

Carl.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.