lack of de-esser and other issues

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions lack of de-esser and other issues

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of xjcsa xjcsa 11 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lukepsound
    lukepsound
    Participant

Hello,
    I run a live sound company and we are looking into purchasing a GLD80. We already own an iliveT80 and so I thought it would be a simple decision. However, I have noticed that the GLD does not have a de-esser or limiter like the ilive. Does anyone know if there are plans to remedy this, or include a de-esser option in the fx rack?

Also the GLD only has two stereo channels. Do you find this annoying or is ganging channels together good enough?

The ilive had a dedicated subwoofer bus and the GLD does not. Do you find that using a post fader aux with sends on rotaries is just as good?

Are there other important differences between the ilive and GLD that I have missed.

Thank you.

Profile photo of jdh28
    jdh28
    Participant

I agree totally on the stereo channels. Ganging is not quite the same, because you can’t gang the gain or trim and you can’t set the pans to be inverses of each other when ganged.

I use an aux-fed sub and it works fine for me. I don’t tend to adjust individual levels much – they’re all generally at unity or zero, but using the rotary encoder would work OK, I think.

John

Profile photo of plevrier
    plevrier
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lukepsound

Also the GLD only has two stereo channels. Do you find this annoying or is ganging channels together good enough?

True. But it is possible to use an Stereo group to make a stereo pair of two inputs. Works fine as long as you only send the output to Main L/R (and you have mixbusses enough). In my default template I have the USB player configured this way so I have both Stereo DSP channels available for my gigs.

quote:

The ilive had a dedicated subwoofer bus and the GLD does not. Do you find that using a post fader aux with sends on rotaries is just as good?

Using an Aux for Sub out works like a charm.

quote:

…or include a de-esser option in the fx rack?

You can make your own de-esser in the GLD. Just route your channel(s) which you want to de-ess to a (stereo) group. In this (stereo) group, configure a normal compressor, with the side chain filter set to ON. Set your low freq to approx 6.5kHz. high freq to 12kHz or so. (compressor threshold… what you need ; 3.5:1 ; attack < 1ms ; release +/- 200ms).

Regards,
    Pascal

GLD80 :-)

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lukepsound

Hello,
    I run a live sound company and we are looking into purchasing a GLD80. We already own an iliveT80 and so I thought it would be a simple decision. However, I have noticed that the GLD does not have a de-esser or limiter like the ilive. Does anyone know if there are plans to remedy this, or include a de-esser option in the fx rack?

Are there other important differences between the ilive and GLD that I have missed.

Thank you.

I have a fair amount of time on both the T112 and GLD-80. I don’t miss the dedicated subwoofer bus on the GLD; a postfader aux works just as well, in my experience.

For me, channel ganging works great for stage sources like stereo keyboards, stereo guitars, etc, but I don’t like it as much for playback sources. It would be nice to be able to add stereo channels, but it’s not a deal breaker.

A channel de-esser/limiter like the iLive has would be nice, but again, not a deal breaker in my case. It might be nice if A&H added some dynamics options to the available FX list like they have in the iLive line; this could include de-essers and limiters along with dynamic EQ and multiband compression.

I will note that the GLD has some advantages over the iLive as well. The expansion card is at FOH instead of on stage, which (in my application) works much better for Dante recording and transport. In addition, with GLD it is possible to use Dante (or another expansion card) and Aviom at the same time, since the AR2412 has a built-in Aviom-compatible monitor port. That may or may not matter in your application.

The GLD’s touch screen graphics are beautifully-designed; some of the best I’ve ever seen. And it’s a fantastic-sounding mixer as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.