GLD Remote Dropping Connection

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD Remote Dropping Connection

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bucks bucks 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rmutchler
    rmutchler
    Participant

I’ve been trying to use the Remote App, however, it seems to be very unstable. I’m using an iPad 3 on the wifi and after about 1-2 minutes, I lose connection to the desk. I also tested this on an iPad Mini and experience the same behavior. I’ve ensured that there are no other apps running, tried with Cellular data on/off, different IP addresses for the desk but have had no success. Any suggestions to try?

Profile photo of Nik@UPG
    Nik@UPG
    Participant

Have you tried a different router altogether?
    I’ve been having very similar issues with my iPad 2 and an apple airport express. Sorry I cant help much, but I’d be interested to hear if there’s a known issue causing this.

rmutchler
    Participant

I am on a specific wifi. The church has a router in the server closet, but there is a wifi point in the tech area in the sanctuary. I can be 5 feet from the wifi and still have dropouts. I usually have to cycle the wifi on my iPad to get it to connect after the GLD loses connection.

I have been debating on putting in a special router in the tech area and taking the GLD off the main network to see if there is any interference, other than that, I am running out of ideas.

Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

We have a D-Link DIR-615 dedicated to the GLD on a private wireless network, and we were experiencing the same issue as you.

However yesterday we upgraded the firmware on the router to DD-WRT and tested today, the performance is much improved and the iPad held the connection for a good half an hour (at which point we turned it off anyway!). DD-WRT is a custom firmware that often outperforms the stock firmware that comes with many routers.

– what router are you using? Is it on the iLive compatibility list (same as for GLD)?
    – can you setup a specific network just for the GLD?
    – try changing the wireless channel, the issue may be interference from other networks (you can try this without getting a separate router if that helps)
    – try updating the firmware on your router, or even try DD-WRT as we did

rmutchler
    Participant

I am using a Linksys 4410 WAP on the network. We have a core router and switch on the network. I’m assuming that it is a higher end Cisco since they are using Cisco VoIP on the network. I haven’t checked the firmware level on the WAP, since there is already an IT guy that does stuff at the church.

I think I have a spare router somewhere around the house I might be able to go out to the church and test sometime when there isn’t an activity. As you can expect, it is a bit of a busy time for me.

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Ron

A good diagnostic to try, is connecting a laptop wirelessly to the AP, then ping the desk or another computer on the wired side of the network via the AP.

To do this open up a command prompt (Start -> run -> cmd), then ping the IP Address for a good 5 minutes:

ping -n 300 xx.xx.xx.xx

You should see:

Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx

and a response time.

If the response times are large or you see intermittent “Request timed out” you need to speak to your IT guy about it.

The desk will trip the lost comms if it doesn’t get a response from the desk in 10 seconds, so if you see drops in the ping test in this order of magnitude, then the AP / router could be your problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Andy
    A&H

rmutchler
    Participant

Andy,

I’ll give that a shot. I’ll take my computer up there and do some diagnostics. Another way to do the same thing is to use ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

That will do a continuous ping to an IP address until you use Ctrl-C to break it.

I will follow up when I have more results from the ping testing.

I’ve been leaning toward the AP as the issue since this started. I just tread lightly as I don’t want to offend a fellow IT professional.

Ron

rmutchler
    Participant

We performed some testing this evening with the following results:

An iPad 1st Gen AT&T running 5.1.1 stayed connected for almost 1 hour.

My iPad 3rd Gen Verizon running 6.1.3 failed.
    The iPad Mini Verizon running 6.1.3 doesn’t work. I didn’t have it with me during the testing this evening.

Ping testing showed no more than 100ms ping from my Macbook Air the whole time.

I hooked my iPad 3rd Gen up to the iPhone Configuration Utility and captured the following in the console log during the drop:

Mar 26 19:53:03 RPM2 iGL-MixPad[209] <Warning>: — ERROR — UDP Client Connection Thread recvfrom(…) – error Bad file descriptor
    File… /Users/andrewbe/iOS/iGL-MixPad/GLD-Firmware-V1.1/iGL/trunk/iGL-MixPad/classes/../../../../AHNet/trunk/Posix/UDPConnectionThread.cpp
    Line… 157
    Mar 26 19:54:44 RPM2 kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[213] Builtin profile: com.apple.xpcd (sandbox)
    Mar 26 19:54:45 RPM2 CommCenter[58] <Notice>: Client [com.apple.persistentconnection[apsd,77]] is telling PDP context 0 to go active.

Hopefully that provides some insight as to why this is not working as expected.

Ron

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Ron

Thanks for the update.

We’re going to need some more info to track this down, could you open a ticket at:

https://allen-heath.helpserve.com/

Could you include iOS versions / hardware models which work and don’t work along with the firmware version on the desk.

Also the make and model of the AP would be good to include on the ticket.

We will also need the event logs from the desk after a successful and failed connection.

Many thanks

Andy
    A&H

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.