GLD Pinging

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions GLD Pinging

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jordan_O Jordan_O 11 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jordan_O
    Jordan_O
    Participant

Hello,
    I will be installing a GLD (my favorite little console) in a venue which I’m currently designing the control system for. When the user shuts down the system they will be prompted to turn off the console, and I’d like to ping the console every 500ms or so until there is no reply. Then of course the shutdown process will continue…

The problem is, they will not have access to turn off the physical power switch on the back of the unit. After the console is proven to be shut down, a relay will kill it’s AC. What I’m wondering is if the console continues to reply to pings after soft shutdown, or does the NIC shut all the way down even before power is lost. Alternatively, is there a UDP “heartbeat” packet I could send and watch for instead of a traditional ping that would cease when the console is in the soft shutdown state?

Thanks!

-Jordan

Designer / Programmer
    7k Solutions
    Newport Beach, CA
    Commercial AVL Integration Provider

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Hi Jordan,
    Yes the console will continue to reply to pings after the soft shutdown. You could use the “GLD Find” UDP message to be able to determine whether the console has been soft shutdown. This UDP message is sent to the console on port #51320(UDP) using the above string in the data. We use this as a broadcast send to find units on the local sub-net, but it should reply equally as well with a directed UDP message.
    HTH.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Jordan_O
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Antony. That’s perfect… And just to be sure, the GLD will not reply to this UDP string when in soft shutdown?

-Jordan

Designer / Programmer
    7k Solutions
    Newport Beach, CA

Profile photo of antonyja
    antonyja
    Participant

Yes, it will stop responding to this UDP when soft shutdown.

Antony Jackson
    Software Manager
    Allen & Heath Limited

Jordan_O
    Participant

Brilliant, thank you.

Designer / Programmer
    7k Solutions
    Newport Beach, CA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.