Recording and streaming

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Recording and streaming

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of woutert woutert 11 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VOLCANOJEFF
    VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Hey Guys. I know this is a bit off topic from just the I-Live, but was hoping someone could help out in helping out a customer. I am not the best in the computer land, but have read many here with post relating to this:

Have:
    I-dr48 and Dante card
    T-112 surface
    Working out wonderfully for FOH in a worship environment….

Need:
    48 via Dante into computer Via DVS
    SOFTWARE for recording( I am aware of many that has this capability)
    same SOFTWARE to allow for a PAFL of individual channels in the computer for solo monitoring.(how would you route this)
    Then to software for STREAMING live to the internet.

There is a desire to be able to stream the main left and right out of the computer live and actually be able to mix that mix live(at the computer monitor). Therefore the person mixing it live feels the need to be able to solo out each channel in the computer to make adjustments.
    I am thinking that the routing could all be done via the DANTE network. Also thinking the big issue here is the PAFL solo bus in the computer for listening.

Anyone out there doing anything similar and have any thoughts. Thanks for the input…..

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

You’re basically looking for another live-mixer…

Why not add an IDR0 or IDR16 as live-stream mixer.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert

You’re basically looking for another live-mixer…

Why not add an IDR0 or IDR16 as live-stream mixer.

Wouter

This actually is not my first suggestion.

VOLCANOJEFF, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Is it to stream, and archive 48 channels of audio, or just to stream a custom mix?

If the goal is to stream a custom mix, it makes far more sense to use a stereo aux off your iLive and just mix a stream feed on that. If your events are too dynamic to make that easy, there’s a few ways to go.

If you want to record, and mix for a live webcast, my suggestion would be ProTools or Logic, and get yourself a professional control surface. We do something very similar for our muis conservatory where we have a line-level split from the FOH console into some HD I/O’s into a mac pro running Logic and a https://www.avid.com/US/products/C24

This is perfect for us as it allows full recording, as well as live mixdown for our live web stream. Additionally after the event, the control surface is used for editing and mastering.

If that’s too much money (probably $8.5k plus computer and software) there’s plenty of smaller control surfaces, i’ve actually enjoyed the Avid Artist Mix a lot for a $1500 + computer and software solution. an SSL Nucleus will run you more like ~5k + computer and software.

and idr-16 + surface still won’t let you record 48 tracks, and would be a fine solution if you are just trying to web stream. But as latency isnt an issue (because you are web streaming) I would suggest getting out of the live-sound world and looking at DAW solutions.

p.s. thinking this out in my head, I seriously wish you could plug and iLive surface into a DAW. I’d pay $1000 for a EUCON iLive software-enabler.

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of TomD
    TomD
    Participant

protools will not take 48 input but 32 and it’s a recording software, not for broadcast. I would totally, as Wouter said, use another mixer with another engineer-in another room to feed the stream. In Belgium, I would ask EVS for the broadcast solution.
    Plus latency is an issue if you have to sync with cam.

Thomas
    T112 IDR32 Dante=>MBP PTHD9

Profile photo of gilparente
    gilparente
    Participant

Surprised nobody mentioned GLD.
    Save your money and just get a GLD with Dante card and use that as your broadcast mixer.
    This would give you all the mixing features you want plus still be able to multitrack via dante.
    Take an extra step and you can even add the ME-1 personal mixing system to the GLD and now you heve a fully digital solution all the way to the musicians.
    Or you could even get the ME-U with Dante and not depend on GLD routing.
    This shows how powerful this system can be.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Thanks guys for the input.
    Gil, This was my first solution for the customer. Unfortunate that they don’t have or don’t want to spend that much in their budget. They are not doing video, only streaming live to the web. A secondary sound guy is mixing only the audio live and streaming. The tough part is just being able to SOLO out a single channel strip without effecting the stereo mix output. Me not being a user of Reaper or many of the recording software programs out there, I was hoping for some insight as to maybe one of those packages that had this built in as a feature.

I would love to see a second Mix rack or a GLD as a system for them there. would be a nice setup.

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

gilparente
    Participant

Hey Jeff,
    If you dont find any software package that you like, here is the dirt-cheap way.
    Use the Editor to mix a Stereo PreFader Aux. dedicate another mono aux to mix as well. Call it Solo Aux or something like that.
    Unasign all channels from Solo Aux. set it to pre fader and set all sends to Odb.
    When you need to PFL something.
    Just switch to that aux and asign the channel. And switch what aux you are monitoring.
    You could also just get some midi controller with a bunch of buttons, or even e Touch OSC app and midi learn the aux On buttons. Kind if crazy, but should work.
    But can be accomplished with minimum spending.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of TomD
    TomD
    Participant

If you work with a IDR32 you could split 2x32IN out of your 64, record with a Dante, mix stream with a group or an aux out.

Thomas
    T112 IDR32 Dante=>MBP PTHD9
    Ipad/Dlink

VOLCANOJEFF
    Participant

Both great Ideas and ways that it could work. Tom, although I knew this could be done, it just had not crossed my mind as to do it that away. After checking with the customer, they are possible within the input count on normal services to use this. I know it has been mentioned in other threads before, this would be one of those exceptional times when 2 surfaces connected to one mix rack and supported[:)] would be handy and a usable option. Even if they had to share the pfl buss.

Thanks for all of the input…..

JEFF FLOWERS
    VOLCANO ADUIO PRODUCTS
    SHEPHERDSVILLE KY-USA

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by VOLCANOJEFF

this would be one of those exceptional times when 2 surfaces connected to one mix rack and supported[:)] would be handy and a usable option. Even if they had to share the pfl buss.

But this does work… just connect surface 1 to ACE and surface 2 to network. No audio on surface 2, just control. But there are a zillion ways of getting PFL to that place.

Wouter

gilparente
    Participant

Wait… If you have money for dual surface, then you should have it for a GLD. It makes no sense to buy another surface for this application.

Gil Parente
    Design & Integration
    Entertainment Arts, Inc.
    iLive 176, T112
    iDR48 , iDR16, iDR10
    Multiple iPads
    Dante
    Etc..

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by gilparente

Wait… If you have money for dual surface, then you should have it for a GLD. It makes no sense to buy another surface for this application.

I agree…

although, don’t forget that this costs more as you need two plugin-cards at both ends… ACE/Dante or MADI…

Wouter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.