Mixing ME1 and Dante networks

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Mixing ME1 and Dante networks

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 11 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scottmcmurray
    Scottmcmurray
    Participant

Hi all.

I’ve just joined – we’re considering a GLD system, but I have a couple of questions. If it’s been covered before, please point me in that direction.

Dante is (to my limited understanding) ethernet compliant.
    ME1’s operate on some kind of protocol – is this strictly ethernet?

If not, my next question is probably not valid. But if so, is it possible to have ME1 and dante on the same network? My idea was that an 8 port gigabit switch with 4 POE ports and 4 normal ports could be used for each. The ME1s could connect to the POE ports (if they had the correct power output) and the dante devices could connect to the unpowered ports.

I understand that these 8 ports are all the same switch and on the same network, which is kind of the point of this (mainly hypothetical) idea.

Many thanks for any info.

Scott

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

From the ME1 data on the A&H website – indicates Dante can be used with the ME1 and I would assume that then normal Dante functions would work with the appropriate network switch.

ME-U is a touring grade, 10 port PoE hub providing power and audio to connect multiple ME-1 personal mixers. It comes with a standard input card to interface with GLD dSnake, iLive ACE or AviomĀ® A-NetĀ®, which can be replaced with a MADI, Dante or EtherSound card to take a digital feed of up to 40 sources from third party systems.

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Scottmcmurray
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying, but that’s a little different than what I meant.

The ME-U is what makes the ME-1 compatible with dante, providing you have a dante card in the ME-U. What I’m proposing is having dante devices and ME-1s on the same network (not having a ME-U at all) and not trying to get dante into the ME-1s or anything like that. Dante would only be there for a record split for example. If everything is of an ethernet standard, I would assume this is possible. As far as I know, dante can run on a computer network with other traffic. I’m really trying to establish what protocol the monitor port on an AR2412 is, and if it’s a strict ethernet standard or not.

If it was, then I would assume it would be possible to plug dante devices and ME-1s into the same network switch/have them on the same network, just like you are able to have lots of different computers and devices on a normal computer network as they are of an ethernet standard.

Does that make sense?

Scott

Profile photo of deanz25
    deanz25
    Participant

You can not connect ME-1 directly to a dante network. If you get a GLD you can connect the ME-2 to the monitor output on the AR2412

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

He doesn’t want to feed the ME1’s from Dante, he just wants both to coexist on the same network.

Chris

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

You could set the described system up, provided that you used VLANs to keep the two sets of traffic (Dante, ME) separate – effectively turning your 8-port switch into two, 4-port switches.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Scottmcmurray
    Participant

Thanks Chris, you see what I’m getting at.

Jeff, sounds good. Appreciate the technical input. I’ll look into this further.

Thanks,
    Scott

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

I understand too now. Would there be an issue with data throughput? Is everything Gigabit? Just wondering…..

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante

Profile photo of cctrieloff
    cctrieloff
    Participant

I’m running Dante with GLD for recording etc.

I’m running a 1G PoE network without the ME-U for ME’s — just bought a carrier grade 1G PoE switch. This way I get all the channel info from the desk to the ME’s

and then I’ll setup another network via wireless router for iPad app in future.

Carl.

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Bob

Pretty much any switch you can buy now has ‘non blocking’ or ‘wire speed’ forwarding, which means that you can max out all ports, in both directions, at the same time.

ME uses almost 100 megabits/second, but is only in one direction. Dante uses Gigabit, but you would need to be running into the 100s of channels before hitting any sort of limitation with that.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.