More Surfaces for Ilive series?

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions More Surfaces for Ilive series?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of timtrace timtrace 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

After playing around trying to get a usb control surface to work with the ilive, it made me want a surface like the R72 for less money.
    I have 2 live mix racks and I have been very happy. I just could not afford a surface so I mix only with a laptop running editor. I get a lot of crap about that from other sound guys, but I do not care.

But I must admit there are times when having the faders and knobs would be better , especially if renting out.

So my point is, I would like to see and Rxx that does not have the touch screen or the channel strip controls, just a monitor out so that I could use the editor with it. but I do need the faders an bank switching.

I do not mind running the cat 5 , but I bet a surface would also run wireless , if I did not have the local I/o. No ace port needed either, just a NIC and/or USB .

Anybody else whish there was a lower cost surface option?

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Yes and No.

Yes because sure that’d be nice to have i guess…

But no because, as you said, in order to have local audio inputs you’d need to run Cat5. You’re basically asking for something between a PL-Anet controller and a real surface. I don’t want A&H to waste hardware R&D on that.

I think the R72 is actually fairly well priced for what it is.

Decent laptop $1200
    Fader bank would be at least two $1200 (Avid Artist Mix, $1400 with touch screen built in) and you
    Touchscreen/tablet $200
    100 foot CAT5 $100

So you’re at about $4k of gear before you add local i/o. I think $3k for perfect integration is worth the cost of an r72.

But really, the correct route to go here would be to add EUCON and full MIDI support to Editor, then you could plug an external control surface into it. Still no local audio, but that’d be 90% of what you are looking for, and would save A&H the huge R&D cost of creating their own hardware. Maybe even charge $100 to enable external hardware control, so those who need it can use it that way?

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by tk2kBut really, the correct route to go here would be to add EUCON and full MIDI support to Editor, then you could plug an external control surface into it. Still no local audio, but that’d be 90% of what you are looking for, and would save A&H the huge R&D cost of creating their own hardware. Maybe even charge $100 to enable external hardware control, so those who need it can use it that way?

Yes, please.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.