Android App?

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Android App?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rexeltw Rexeltw 11 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

quote:

I would like to know which OS is on GLD.

It’s some variant of Ubuntu Linux. The default hostname if you have DHCP enabled is “Ubuntu” ;-)

Profile photo of tomos
    tomos
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by gkhewitt

quote:

I would like to know which OS is on GLD.

It’s some variant of Ubuntu Linux. The default hostname if you have DHCP enabled is “Ubuntu” ;-)

Linux [:)]. I don’t see the problem about app for android, but iPad’s (ver. 2, 3, 4, mini) have also different type of hardware (processors, graphic card,…). Interesting [?]

Profile photo of robi
    robi
    Participant

I have see no problem with hardware. Desktop windows running on an infinite number of hardware and works there a lot of value serious applications.

I’m still waiting if someone answers here from A&H – application for Android is planned or application for android never will.

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

Waiting for steak dinner and firmware tweak.

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

How about instead of A&H wasting a bunch of money making an app for the 12 people in the world that actually use Android tablets that you guys stop being so cheap and just buy an iPad.

I use an Android phone and I like it but I bought an iPad for my GLDs.

If you really pay attention to android, note only does the hardware differ between manufacturers but the OS is different for each device. My wife and I have different htc phones with android. Both OS’s are completely different. We get stupid updates all the time so that the apps on our phones will work on different phones. It must suck to be an Android app developer trying to keep up.

2 X GLD80
    2 X AR2412
    1 X AR840

Profile photo of tomos
    tomos
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS
    If you really pay attention to android, note only does the hardware differ between manufacturers but the OS is different for each device. My wife and I have different htc phones with android. Both OS’s are completely different. We get stupid updates all the time so that the apps on our phones will work on different phones. It must suck to be an Android app developer trying to keep up.

They are different because one is using new version of android. If you look nexus phone has different menu, but kernel is the same. I wish that A&H listen the “other” users.

Profile photo of bigbean
    bigbean
    Participant

I’ve got an Ipad. It does some things great but won’t do other things at all.

Most of my customers have Windows products. Android pads are owned by many people,some of whom may become my customers. I’d like to offer them a product that will work well with whatever sort of tablet or laptop they have.

I work with a 2800 seat theater that needs a new console. I think the GLD80 would be a better solution for their event list than the Roland M480 (which I also represent)but the state of play with firmware, stage box options etc. are pushing this sale to Roland. I think the A&H sounds better and has a smarter layout for an experienced user but there are issues……

The surest way to windup with nothing is to wait for everything. On the other hand, the 2nd mouse always gets the cheese.

Profile photo of Jono-Morgan
    Jono-Morgan
    Participant

yeah i can’t really see a problem writing stuff for android aye, my friend who is the local rep said they were planning it(this was before the ipad app was released)

Profile photo of pengo13
    pengo13
    Participant

Honestly I’m surprised at the comments.

Android Dev and IPad dev are different,yes. However there are a few solutions out there that can create apps for both platforms from a single code base. Also, there are a plethora of developers available to code apps for each.

What would make sense is a web based receiver api on the GLD(it’s linux based and running a web server on it would be easy). Development on the other devices would be simplified with a native display that makes calls in the backend to the GLD. You’d be spending more dev time on interface tuning.

You aren’t worrying so much about hardware compatibility and more on design.

Also,anyone who says Android isn’t for serious computing probably doesn’t understand just how powerful the android devices are. Believe me, I make my motorola Xoom tablet do backflips around iPads and the tabletis a few years old. I can simply do more with an android, faster, than I could with an Ipad. That’s why I own an android tablet.

For android Hardware support,A&H should focus on tablets. Specifically the Samsungs,Motorolas, etc. It’s not so much the hardware as it is just the OS. So pickone!. Android 3.2 to 4.2 would be fin for support. Even 4.1 and 4.2. It’s not a ton of work to make sure your code base runs on both.

Btw there are plenty of android tablets in use globally (more than 2). Honestly, the industry is expecting android tabs to overtake ipads in a few years, much as the android phones have done to the iphones.

Check the links, lest you doubt:
    https://techcrunch.com/2012/11/28/ipad-and-android-tablet-market-share-margin-narrows-much-faster-than-originally-predicted/

https://www.zdnet.com/new-activation-numbers-show-android-tablets-catching-up-to-ipad-7000003898/

Android Dev isn’t hard. I know,I run software company. Most of the issues I’ve seen aren’t really issues,just some lack of information and a few apple fan boys.

Seriously, A&H should seriously consider developing an android app. The GLD runs linux, most likely with the RTkernel and maybe jack audio or something similar to handle the audio processing. I’m sure there are a enough *nix heads on the inside who would be down for some Android Dev. Just have to convince the decision makers that the business case is worth it.

It’s worth it.

Profile photo of Alec
    Alec
    Participant

Android – poor performance? So, you’ve never used a Nexus 7/10, then? They’re completely up for the job!

Diversity of hardware? Well, maybe, but it doesn’t stop most apps! And it’s hardly like the i* environment doesn’t add a new device every few months, changing things like screen size/resolution.

Bottom line is, plenty of people will have Android devices for all sorts of reasons, and it would be great if they could be enfranchised with an Android app.

Profile photo of Rexeltw
    Rexeltw
    Participant

Diversity of hardware may not stop most app’s but seriously playing Annoyed Avians is not the same as running a FOH mix for 5000 people. Would you be happy with the occasional hiccup or crash out?

Personally I wouldn’t which is a shame as I love my Samsung Note 10.1 and would love to me able to use it to tune a mix from time to time.

Bottom line here is that A&H have a limited amount of resources to spend on projects and I guess they’ve prioritised what they think is important for most customers i.e removing glitches from firmware and adding new features. Yes it sucks for those of us that don’t like buying Apple but thats life, get over it ;-)

Just remember kids no matter how good your mixing is you can’t polish a turd…

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.