ACE through a Switch

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions ACE through a Switch

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pealsound
    pealsound
    Participant

Hi Jeff

What sort of audio activity was going on while you recorded these peaks?

Busy with audio or silent?

Cheers
    Jerry

IDR48 – T112 – Dante card

Profile photo of jeffs7
    jeffs7
    Participant

Silent. That was an iDR-32 ACE port connected directly to a SuperMicro server with Intel gigabit Ethernet ports. This was based on a 1 minute capture.

~Jeff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Jeff

The ACE link never exceeds 100 megabits/second. It uses a 100 megabit physical layer interface, so this would be impossible.

The traffic graph you posted looks to me like the switch is sending out some periodic traffic of its own. The ACE link transmits the exact same size packets at a constant rate of 48k packets/second, irrespective of audio, control usage, etc.

Are you able to filter the traffic based on source MAC address? Wireshark should recognise the Allen & Heath OUI and show eth.src as ‘AllenHea_xx:xx:xx’. I suppose it would be more interesting to filter based on ‘eth.src != ‘, to find out what if any ‘extra’ packets are ending up on the ACE link.

Another thing I have found is that when connecting a PC to use Wireshark, it can be very difficult to prevent the PC from sending out packets of its own. Presumably you have recorded this traffic using a port mirroring function on the switch?

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of jeffs7
    jeffs7
    Participant

Jeff,

Actually, this was not recorded through a switch. It was the mixrack ACE port through a crossover directly into the computer’s gigabit NIC.

I did filter the results in Wireshark to the source MAC of the mixrack only, but I am fuzzy on the whether the graph shows the filtered or unfiltered results. I will try to repeat the procedure later and generate a packets-per-second graph at the same time.

One possible theory that was advanced to me by A&H tech support was that the computer is interacting with the test due to its inability to keep up.

~Jeff

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi Jeff

Yes, tech support asked me about this yesterday. I will now keep my responses to this issue in your tech support ticket, to avoid any confusion from having two separate threads.

– Jeff, A&H.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.