Getting ready for iPad control

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Getting ready for iPad control

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jammiejammie jammiejammie 11 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GLDAlistair
    GLDAlistair
    Participant

So the eagerly awaited iPad app is out soon. What wifi router is best for connecting GLD and iPad? Is is it the same answer as for iLive?

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Alistair

R.E Best wireless A/P, it depends…

We’ve dropped multicast support, so the UDP metering should be handled fine by most access points in a single iPad environment with good wifi coverage.

Where things get tricky are in a multi iPad setup with poor wifi coverage. We’ve seen almost every A/P on the market have problems in this scenario. They stop pushing any traffic at all while a single client is out of range, and this can cause issues for the other ipad’s which are still in range.

The exception to this is the Cisco A/P we recommend – have a look on the iLive downloads page. Yes its expensive, but it also works where others do not !

So I guess it depends on your setup and the demand you’re placing on the A/P.

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

I had the Presonus 24.4.2 for about 18 months, and had used three different routers with its superb app.

Netgear DG834 – good for a cheap router but with limited range.

• Sweex 2T3R – brilliant for a £20 bulletproof router with better range than the Netgear

• Belkin N450 DB PLay – stupendously good router – available cheaply on belkin

On one occasion I had 6 iPads (4 on stage, 2 covering front of house), and 6 iPhones (all on stage) controlling the entire setup, with not even the slightest hint at a drop on this routers.

Hopefully the same will apply with the A&H app, but we’ll have to wait and see. They all worked brilliantly with the presonus app, which covers 24Channel feedback for the main mix, individual mix control over 10 aux outputs, 31 band channel feedback via the live live RTA to app.

hope this helps from another perspective perhaps.
    Cheers,
    Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Profile photo of jammiejammie
    jammiejammie
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bucks

Hi Alistair

R.E Best wireless A/P, it depends…

We’ve dropped multicast support, so the UDP metering should be handled fine by most access points in a single iPad environment with good wifi coverage.

Where things get tricky are in a multi iPad setup with poor wifi coverage. We’ve seen almost every A/P on the market have problems in this scenario. They stop pushing any traffic at all while a single client is out of range, and this can cause issues for the other ipad’s which are still in range.

The exception to this is the Cisco A/P we recommend – have a look on the iLive downloads page. Yes its expensive, but it also works where others do not !

So I guess it depends on your setup and the demand you’re placing on the A/P.

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

So what you are saying is that it realy doesn’t matter wich AP you use in a multi Ipad enviorment, because if one is out of range, the whole system will slow down ?

On Ilive this could be avoided using multicast, but this isn’t possible anymore on the GLD ?

So basicly…. If i would use more than one IPad, and one goes out of range, the other IPad is going to give problems two ?

Would this also effect the GLD surfice, as is noted in the Ilive notes of the AP selection document?

GLD all the way ;)

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Bert,

In iLive pre version 1.9, with multicast on, and mutiple ipads connected, the behaviour if one client roams out of range depends on the Access Point. Almost all A/P’s cause the clients still in range to disconnect. The Cisco we recommend limps on but there is a noticeable drop in performance and eventually it stops working all together.

In 1.9 without multicast and mutiple clients connected almost all A/P’s again will drop the clients still in range, but the Cisco will not. I.E it works correctly – all roaming clients still in range remain connected.

So in short, no iLive didn’t avoid these issues by using multicast.

As for affecting the surface, sending the metering over TCP (The old old method) can cause the threading in the Rack to pause during the time the client is out of range. This is why we switched to multicast. But as we can’t identify an access point which works well with mutiple clients roaming in and out of range, we’ve switched to straight UDP.

Using UDP this thread lock should not exist, and it shouldn’t affect the surface or GLd too badly.

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

jammiejammie
    Participant

Thanx Bucks for the clarification.

Switching to UDP should solve it depending on the way the communication protocol between surface and ipad is build. I have faith ;)

Any idea when we can expect the launch of the Ipad App ?

GLD all the way ;)

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Tomorrow it’s the last day of february… i heard about the launch of ipad-app for the end of february? hopefully waiting!

GL2400 32CH ==> GLD-80 / AR2412 / AR84

Profile photo of Moparcar
    Moparcar
    Participant

Get in line, bro. We’re all waiting for that mid Summer (2012) elease forth coming by the end of Feb 2013. Nothing like standing next to an artist onstage with my iPad and setting up a monitor mix to really make me satisfied it actually sounds like it is supposed to. Then again, that is while mixing on a Presonus. Hope to duplicate that with the GLD soon!

“Can I get some talent in the monitor, please.”

Profile photo of HalfBakedPotato
    HalfBakedPotato
    Participant

Yup – some sort of confirmation eitherway would be cool.

I’m hoping that the news is good for today or tomorrow, got some big shows on this weekend and I could do with a bit of a play!

Really happy with the board though, the iPad support would make it absolutely insane. The GLD80 is truely one of the best bits of musical equipment I’ve ever bought. Coming from an analogue background, it’s mindblowingly good and better than I could have ever imagined.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The local distributor will be at a (very) small trade show tomorrow and Friday. I suppose they might have an unreleased version running at the show, I’ll comment here if there’s any news.

Chris

Profile photo of byondo
    byondo
    Participant

“end of february”… which year? ;)
    no other news from A&H staff, so let’s hope that it’s just on its way, even in (the very first days of) March…

regards
    Massimo

Profile photo of bucks
    bucks
    Participant

Hi Guys

We pushed the GLD Remote app to apple on Tuesday for review.

I set the release date for today, but we’re still waiting for it to complete the review process.

If I had to guess I’d say either the weekend very early next week.

Keep checking the app store .

:-)

Hope this helps.

Andy
    A&H

Profile photo of HalfBakedPotato
    HalfBakedPotato
    Participant

Andy – do you know how good the app is on the iPad mini? I know the full blown iPad is likely to be preferable, just want to know about options.

jammiejammie
    Participant

And it’s finaly there!

Let’s check it out :)

GLD all the way ;)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.