multitrack recording

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions multitrack recording

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of mervaka mervaka 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andy95
    andy95
    Participant

I am a sound a sound engineer for a local church and we will soon be upgrading our old gl3300 to an ilive t112 (probably with an idr48 but we haven’t decided this yet) and I wish to do multitrack recordings of live events. I have my own acer asp[ire 3680 laptop and a more powerful custom built tower both with ardour running on a jack server in Ubuntu studio. what is the best way (for low cost and high quality) to do multitrack (anything from 16 to 40 tracks) with this setup

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by andy95

I am a sound a sound engineer for a local church and we will soon be upgrading our old gl3300 to an ilive t112 (probably with an idr48 but we haven’t decided this yet) and I wish to do multitrack recordings of live events. I have my own acer asp[ire 3680 laptop and a more powerful custom built tower both with ardour running on a jack server in Ubuntu studio. what is the best way (for low cost and high quality) to do multitrack (anything from 16 to 40 tracks) with this setup

Dante add-on card for the iLive. $1700 for 64 channel, 48@24 bidirectional recording. Will pipe it right into your desktop via Ethernet

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of inlinemedia
    inlinemedia
    Participant

… my recommendation: m-waves card [:)]

you get superbly programmed driver from waves (asio+coreaudio) and can record/play back 64 channels w/ 24bit/48khz

take a look therefore …
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&ProductId=MWAVES&SubCatId=AudioNetworkingOptions

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

Why would you pick Waves over Dante? Cost is identical but Waves is less compatible with other technologies?

quote:

Originally posted by inlinemedia

… my recommendation: m-waves card [:)]

you get superbly programmed driver from waves (asio+coreaudio) and can record/play back 64 channels w/ 24bit/48khz

take a look therefore …
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=iLiveSeries&ProductId=MWAVES&SubCatId=AudioNetworkingOptions

greetz,
    andie

andreas putz
    foh engineer
    office@inlinemedia.at

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    College

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

andy95 ask for a solution on Ubuntu/Linux.
    how many Driver are aviable for Dante on Linux? zerro!

BTW: the discussion about SoundGrid/Dante is
    tedious. Both are Proffesional and reliable.

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

+1 Dante

Unless you are actually going to use WAVES plugins, I would go DANTE too. Alot of expansion options come with it.

T112, R72, iDR48 (2), iDR16 all w/M-DANTE, PL10, MixPads, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini,PC
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10/Reaper
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Düsenklang

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don’t think DVS is supported under Linux. Nor have I heard or read about any plans to do so.

Your choice now is to either suck it up and install Windows, or look at using a 24ch ADAT connection instead. As much as I am a Linux fan, my preference is strongly for the former.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mervaka

quote:

Indeed. Unfortunately, I don’t think DVS is supported under Linux. Nor have I heard or read about any plans to do so.

Your choice now is to either suck it up and install Windows, or look at using a 24ch ADAT connection instead. As much as I am a Linux fan, my preference is strongly for the former.

actually, MADI is probably the way to go with andy95’s setup…..https://ardour.org/realFAQ

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by RayS

quote:

Originally posted by mervaka

quote:

actually, MADI is probably the way to go with andy95’s setup…..https://ardour.org/realFAQ

RayS

R-72/iDR32/iPS10

Apologies. I totally forgot this approach! Definitely the best one for Linux. RME have probably the best supported platform for Linux out of all the pro audio interface manufacturers. I should know that, being a DIGI96/8 owner myself..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.