LR&M or LR and sum to mono

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions LR&M or LR and sum to mono

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of caseymglass
    caseymglass
    Participant

So I am a church tech and we are upgrading to the GLD. We run a mono PA but will also have a stereo recording feed. I’m wondering if it would be better to run the LR+M template (knowing that I won’t use the LR bus) for its dedicated mono bus or save myself a bus by going with the LR template and summing to mono outside the box at our system processing. I don’t think the LR bus in the LRM setup will help since I will want independant level control for the recording mix. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of Sound Doctor
    Sound Doctor
    Participant

Casey
    You could use the stereo template as a start and change the main out to mono. Go to Setup, Config, Mixer config tab, touch LR on Main and list of options comes up, then select LR+M –
    “A 3-way main mix with independent stereo LR and mono M buses. Channels can be separately assigned to any combination of LR and M. Typical application for M is main centre speaker, mono PA or bus-fed sub bass.”
    Are you recording to the usb? Not sure if it has a separate volume control.
    Have fun! I got my GLD about a month ago, having a blast so far.
    Rick

caseymglass
    Participant

I can certainly do that. I really just wish there was a mono only option. It hurts to have to burn up two mix buses I probably won’t use. I’ll have to see when I get the console in how independent the LR and M buses can be.

Profile photo of smorgan223
    smorgan223
    Participant

Here is an option for you to run both a mono out and stereo recording feed. Since the console is digital, you have the ability to run the inputs to more than one channel strip provided your channel count is less than half of the 48 available processing channels. With this split-console situation, you can route the first set of your channels to the Mono (“M”) buss and the second set (the copys) to the LR buss. You would send the Mono out to your PA and the LR out to your recording device. Now, it does complicate things a little by keeping up with two mixes, but since you are getting a digital mixer, I am assuming you are ready for the added complexity. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Scott

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by smorgan223

Here is an option for you to run both a mono out and stereo recording feed. Since the console is digital, you have the ability to run the inputs to more than one channel strip provided your channel count is less than half of the 48 available processing channels. With this split-console situation, you can route the first set of your channels to the Mono (“M”) buss and the second set (the copys) to the LR buss. You would send the Mono out to your PA and the LR out to your recording device. Now, it does complicate things a little by keeping up with two mixes, but since you are getting a digital mixer, I am assuming you are ready for the added complexity. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Scott

You can accomplish the same thing by using an aux send for recording. There’s no need to split the board in half to do it.

If you make the aux send pre-fader, you have almost total control (other than separate muting) for the recording, if that’s a good thing. If you make the aux post-fader, the recording mix will follow your main mix, but can still be adjusted by changing the aux sends for each channel.

Profile photo of smorgan223
    smorgan223
    Participant

quote:

You can accomplish the same thing by using an aux send for recording

Yea…I don’t know why I didn’t think of that too. That is definitely another possible, and less complicated, way to do it.

Profile photo of gkhewitt
    gkhewitt
    Participant

I think I’ve said this before but it would be really helpful to have a ‘standalone’ mono output without having to use two or three busses.

We run the mains in mono and at present using the LR setup rather than LR+Msum (two is better than three!). We are then summing it manually using an external device before it hits the amplifiers. But would really like to simplify and have a single output.

Profile photo of Mr-B
    Mr-B
    Participant

So why not use a mono matrix to feed the PA and a stereo to feed the recording? That is what they are there for. Can’t remember how many buses GLD has around 20 odd I guess. You can then bury the left and right faders and forget them. Been doing this for years on iLive, only run out of buses on that if it is a big monitor set up with lots of stereo in ear feeds.

caseymglass
    Participant

Can you assign individual channels to a matrix on a GLD? I don’t think you can according to the manual. In that case I would have to burn one or more groups to be able to assign to a matrix, so I’m back where I started.

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

You cant send channels directly to a matrix but you can send from an Aux, group or the main L/R.

Perhaps the best way – use L/R for the PA and a Stereo Aux to feed recording. Just pan everything to centre or say hard left for the PA feed and then just use the Left master as a mono PA master. The stereo Aux will provide an independent stereo recording mix. This will use 4 busses – same as L/R + Mono config does.

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

That is if GLD has stereo Aux’s? Not sure as I’m on iLive!

Cheers

Richard Howey
    Audio Dynamite Ltd
    IDR48/IDR16/T112/R72/Mixpad,Tweak,
    Dual M-Dante/DVS, 17″MBP/Logic 9/Custom Mackie Control

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It does.

Chris

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.