ME-1 PoE Details

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions ME-1 PoE Details

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of katapult
    katapult
    Participant

Hi There,

Looking forward to trying out the ME-1 with our GLD and noticed that it supports a PoE switch, not just the A&H unit.

Does the switch require gigabit (1000Mb) interfaces, or would a 10/100 switch with PoE work instead?

Second of all, if the PoE switch remains powered but the GLD-80 is powered off, do the ME-1 units remain on, or shut off with the expander unit?

Thanks!

– Ed

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi katapult

A 100 megabit or better switch is required. Gigabit would work, but would generally be more expensive.

Note that when using an SLink port on for example an SQ mixing desk, a Gigabit switch can only be used for ME-1 if connected to the SLink port either via a 2-pair cable, or by some other means that prevents a Gigabit link being established. A Gigabit connection will prevent an SLink port from entering ME mode.

The ME-1 units will stay powered on as long as they are plugged into the PoE switch.

Be careful when choosing a switch, because although lots of switches advertise, for example, 8 PoE ports, most will have a relatively low total power limit. For ME-1 you need 13 Watts per port, so take this into account if you got the standard PoE route. The ME-U can supply 15 Watts on all 10 ports simultaneously.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

[edit] Updated ME-1 power requirement at PoE source to match user guide (13 W) [/edit]
    [edit2] Updated reference to Gigabit to reflect functionality with newer ‘SLink’ ports [/edit2]

Profile photo of xjcsa
    xjcsa
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ahjeff

Hi katapult

A 100 megabit or better switch is required. Gigabit would work, but would generally be more expensive.

The ME-1 units will stay powered on as long as they are plugged into the PoE switch.

Be careful when choosing a switch, because although lots of switches advertise, for example, 8 PoE ports, most will have a relatively low total power limit. For ME-1 you need 15 Watts per port, so take this into account if you got the standard PoE route. The ME-U can supply 15 Watts on all 10 ports simultaneously.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Jeff,

Is the Dante card for the MEU the same as the Dante card for the mixer, or is it a different card?

Thanks!

Profile photo of katapult
    katapult
    Participant

Thanks Jeff.

Do you know the spec for the PoE? Which standard (voltage etc) does it comply with?

I want to make sure I match up the right kind of switch.

– Ed

Profile photo of CareyD
    CareyD
    Participant

Just a note to say that the ME-1 User Guide is available on the A&H web site:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=MESystem&ProductId=ME1
    Refer to page 12 for information on the Ethernet switch and Cat5 cables.
    Regards, Carey

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi

quote:

Originally posted by xjcsa

Is the Dante card for the MEU the same as the Dante card for the mixer, or is it a different card?

The ME-U uses the same Option Cards as can be used with iLive and GLD.

quote:

Originally posted by katapult

Do you know the spec for the PoE? Which standard (voltage etc) does it comply with?

Yes, the ME-1 is compliant with IEEE 802.3af (802.3at Type 1), and uses 13 Watts at the switch when using the maximum 100 meters of cable. The Wikipedia article on PoE has a lot of information on the details of this standard, but you should just be able to look for “802.3af” in the features list. Remember to divide the total PoE power rating for the switch by 13, to see how many ME-1 units it can power. Also, many switches have PoE available on only a selection of their RJ45 sockets.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.