Dante Pre/Post signal rec – is this i/p direct out

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions Dante Pre/Post signal rec – is this i/p direct out

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jonnyweston jonnyweston 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

OK Guys,

I know this has been brought up a few times before – I have read the other threads, and thanks to all the contributors… I have learnt a lot there thank you.

Basically – What I want to ask is this:

• What do I set the outputs under the I/O Port OUT tab to if I want to record from the AR2412 / AR804 / GLD80 for the first 32 channels on the desk in a live gig scenario
    • (As far as I think it is Input Direct out)

• How Do I make sure I am recording the Post-Preamp but Pre-EQ/Dynamics/effects Signal – Its really important that i am recording post preamp pre-dynamics
    • What do I set the inputs under the I/O Port IN tab to if I want to Playback the audio from Logic 9 to the first 32 channels on the desk

Your help is again.. appreciated thanks guys!
    Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Profile photo of Pit Lenz
    Pit Lenz
    Participant

Hi Jonny,
    the global source for direct out can be selected on the routing page as a pull-up menu at the bottom.
    There you can select the direct out point.
    You might want to choose Post-Preamp ot (one step further) Post-HPF.
    The Dir. out can be at a different point in the chain than the Insert, which itself is fixed between Gate and Eq.

this is described on page 15 of the screen reference guide.
    You`ll find it as document #8 under:
    https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?catId=GLDSeries&SubCatId=&ProductId=GLD80#tabset-tab-4

For playback (virtual soundcheck) I´d propose this:
    connect logic’s 32 tracks to Dante 1-32 output channels and then
    choose the same channels from i/O as your inputs on the GLD.
    Make sure to switch off logic’s direct monitoring or you`ll get a feedback as you stop the playback.
    You might even make scenes where everything is recall safe exept this patch, so you can quickly jump back and forth from virtual to real inputs.

Not in front of my GLD at the moment, but I think we did it like this before.
    Greetings
    Pit

Profile photo of smorgan223
    smorgan223
    Participant

quote:

What do I set the outputs under the I/O Port OUT tab to if I want to record from the AR2412 / AR804 / GLD80 for the first 32 channels on the desk in a live gig scenario (As far as I think it is Input Direct out)

It seems like the best place to pull from would be directly off the input socket for each of the inputs. However, it is also possible to pull off the direct outs from each channel as well. You will just need to make sure the direct out pick point is set to Post-PreAmp.

quote:

How Do I make sure I am recording the Post-Preamp but Pre-EQ/Dynamics/effects Signal – Its really important that i am recording post preamp pre-dynamics

This can be done on the Routing page via the DIR OUT SRC pull-up tab at the bottom of the screen.

quote:

What do I set the inputs under the I/O Port IN tab to if I want to Playback the audio from Logic 9 to the first 32 channels on the desk

Assuming you have all of the outputs patched correctly in Logic and the Dante Contol Software, you would simply choose the appropriate Channel Name associated with each of the inputs.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Scott Morgan

Profile photo of jonnyweston
    jonnyweston
    Participant

Brilliant – that helps clarify where to define the recording point chaps!

I’ll give that other stuff a go too – I’ll have the desck out at a gig on Friday and one on Sunday again – so thanks for that!

thanks

Jonny

A&H GLD80, AR2412 & Dante Card x 2
    Korg M50, Novation SL25 MKII, Akai MPD26
    Logic Studio 9, Reason 6.5, Ableton 8

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.