Editor Bandwidth w/ ACE

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Editor Bandwidth w/ ACE

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ahjeff ahjeff 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

When I connect my computer to the surface ethernet (using the ACE)… I occasionally see the red X on the net bridge. I am using an approved cat5e cable.

I do not notice audio drops (only using a few of the surface audio features). And have not yet noticed a control issue…

But, before I deploy this in a live scenario, should I run an additional cable from the mix rack network to the editor computer or should the ACE network have enough bandwidth to handle both ACE and editor connection?

T112, R72, iDR48 w/M-DANTE (2), PL10, MixPad, Editor
    MacBook Pro, Mac Mini
    Lion/Logic Pro/PT10
    All latest versions/firmware

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi clarocque

Firstly, the net bridge warning (it is intended to be a warning, and later metalwork aims to reflect this by using a yellow LED with a warning triangle) comes on for ~3 seconds when the network bridge has discarded a control packet. This would happen because the net bridge packet buffer did not have space for said packet, and is not related to the cable used in any way. These packet drops can safely be ignored if there is no problem with the operation of the surface.

Some tasks use more control bandwidth, for example recalling a show, causing the net bridge LED to come on. However, because the control communication uses TCP/IP, any discarded packets are simply resent, with no noticeable effect to the user (the show might take a few milliseconds longer to recall, for example).

The audio has complete priority over any control messages, so even if the network bridge warning was permanently on, the audio would not be interrupted.

The net bridge has around 10 megabits/second of bandwidth. Normal iLive operation uses around 1.5, as does an Editor session. So you should be fine running Editor via the ACE connection.

If many packets were being dropped by the network bridge, the associated LED would be permanently on, but you still might not notice anything unusual on the surface. The first noticeable effect of network bridge packet drops would be metering on the surface appearing to ‘stutter’, but this should only happen if the net bridge is being heavily loaded, for example by somebody copying a large file, or trying to stream video through it.

hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Profile photo of clarocque
    clarocque
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Jeff…

I have seen (only a few times, I think it was when starting editor, maybe was a show reload) the X change to OFF (I believe it was off). But it came back on it’s own. This is on the surface screen.

Is this the same as the X?

Profile photo of ahjeff
    ahjeff

Hi clarocque

In a modular system, ‘OFF’ would mean that there was no cable plugged in to the ‘Net Bridge’ port of an ACE option card. This status can briefly be displayed during heavy touch screen system load, and does not represent a problem.

Hope this helps

– Jeff, A&H

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.