FX question

Forums Forums GLD Forums Archived GLD Discussions FX question

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 11 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GSLC-Tech
    GSLC-Tech
    Participant

Probably missing something, but why shouldn’t you be able to use an FX like an AUX? Doesn’t seem like you should need a FX return.

Rick Kohrs
    Good Shepherd Lutheran Church – West Campus
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of TJCornish
    TJCornish
    Participant

How would you propose to get the sound back in the system from the effects processor if you didn’t have a return?

Every desk in the universe works like this – sound goes in to processor via aux, effected signal has to be returned to the mixer somewhere. All but the lowest-end boards have aux returns as pretty much full channels so you can assign the effects output to other all the busses, not just L+R.

I suppose there are a few boards that don’t have an explicit “effects return” channel or knob, but under the hood the signal still comes back in to the mixer through a signal path that amounts to an effects return.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

How did you do effects on your GL3300?

Chris

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

For our GL3300, we did exactly that, aux to fx unit and back to one of the channel faders and then back to mains. I was just thinking that in the digital world, you wouldn’t need the concept of a return. You assign channels to the FX, the signal goes to the FX, is processed and then you assign the FX to go the mains. Yes it is different from the analog world, but seems a pretty straight forward signal path. It doesn’t seem any different than the concept of an EQ. Again, maybe I’m missing something.

Rick Kohrs
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of martijn
    martijn
    Participant

What if you want to cut or lower the FX level to the Mains???
    What if you want to send a different level of the same FX to an Monitor send?

If you would use a “Hard” send (switch instead of level) you have to set your levels with your sends.
    You have more control if you use a return.

If you want to send it directly to the mains you could use the Ext in on the Main bus.
    Try it and you see the issues [:)]

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by martijn

What if you want to cut or lower the FX level to the Mains???
    What if you want to send a different level of the same FX to an Monitor send?

Got me there [:)] If we were to do that, would I need multiple sends? I’m not a vocalist, but never understood why anyone would want to hear a wet signal through their monitor.

Thanks for your help, I’ve only got the board until Monday, so soon I will just lurk in the shadows. Now to make the decision as to purchase the board.

Rick Kohrs
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I’d go ahead and buy it. [;)] None of the problems you’ve had are specific to the GLD so you’d have the same sort of learning curve all over again with a different console. (but possibly on a less helpful forum [:)] )

A good thing to remember is that your GL3300 and the GLD are both essentially the same thing and work largely on the same concepts. A subgroup is a subgroup an aux is an aux etc, you just have a lot more flexibility in digital and the “outboard” gear is now internal.

You probably could insert an FX unit on an aux send if you wanted to though…

It’s been a week since I saw the GLD, you can assign an aux to the mains can’t you? Doing this would burn up a mix out though, so it wouldn’t achieve much.

What you might want to do is assign your FX returns to LR, set them at unity, and then take them off the surface in strip assign.

Did you get the recording problem sorted out?

Chris

GSLC-Tech
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Chris93

I’d go ahead and buy it. [;)] None of the problems you’ve had are specific to the GLD so you’d have the same sort of learning curve all over again with a different console. (but possibly on a less helpful forum [:)] )
    Reading the forums about units freezing up is making me get cold feet. Asking the church to invest $10K is scary. With analog, you generally don’t have a single failure point. The iLive has been around for longer, does it have a better track record?

There was no problems with the console, just a green operator, but a very helpful forum pushed me in the right directions.

quote:

You probably could insert an FX unit on an aux send if you wanted to though…

Not necessary, GLD has many internal FX.

Quote:
    Did you get the recording problem sorted out?

I figured it out this morning work with the middle school praise band. There was an i/o assignment error. Now I have control using the record aux and it is also post fader. I’m becoming dangerous [:D]

Chris

Rick Kohrs
    Verona, WI

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

I meant using one of the internal FX processors and inserting on the aux, if you wanted to… Have a look at the “back panel” tab for routing options.

I thought it might have been the assignment. [:D]

Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.