slightly ot focusrite rednet pcie and ilive

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions slightly ot focusrite rednet pcie and ilive

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of reuben-kinkade reuben-kinkade 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

hey
    i have for testing the new rednet pcie dante card (computerside)installed ,the aussies finally made the driver,
    so far so good driver works (xp machine) they “see each other” within dante controller but not the channels – therefore
    i cant set any routing…tried it as well with a second computer on the control in on the “ilive dante card” side but no…

my idea is to free the nic within the computer by using the rednet pcie wich seems to be very promising on the latencie issue

https://global.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet-pcie-card

is anybody triyng this as well and if so with sucscess?
    hints welcome

cheers
    dave

allways latest firm and software
    iLive-144/t-80/idr-10 /idr-48/dante/pl-6/eyepad 1/belkin router/

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

update
    got ist working….
    the mistake was ,my laptop had its wifi on and it does not like it (connectet laptop to dante control on the idr)
    latencie is quiet impressive (3ms each way) and then of course whatever effect one wants to use on the hooked up computer.
    i ll give it a test with 64 tracks recording (for the heck of it)
    update soon

cheers
    dave

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

What are you using exactly? Computer, OS, ilive rig? And have you tried using it to run live effects? I’ve been interested in this card mainly for that. To be able to record and process tracks live, with low enough latency no one notices. I have the Dante card and use it for recording into a Mac mini and love it. However the mini isn’t very powerful and doesn’t have PCIe slots. So for me to use this card I’d need to buy/built a computer, and don’t want to if latency is still not low enough.

Thanks

T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

Profile photo of reuben-kinkade
    reuben-kinkade
    Participant

I’ve been wondering about the latency as well. I wanted to use the PCIe card for I/O between two Macs (A 2008 8-Core and a 2012 6-Core) with the 8-Core being used for Virtual Instruments and the 6-Core for mixing/effects as well.

CMattE, have you tried the Dante card in this fashion ? If it is stable and can handle a decent amount of I/O, I’m all in!

reuben-kinkade
    Participant

Oops !!! I Meant 2010 6-Core Mac Pro ! [8)]

Profile photo of CMattE
    CMattE
    Participant

I have the Dante card in the idr48 feeding a core2duo Mac
    Mini. I only use it to track. Don’t think it would be able to run very many plugs at a low buffer to be unnoticeable. And I don’t want to buy/build a rig until I know it’s at least feasible to get super low latency going. I have no doubt I can build a rig to run a good amount efficient plugs at the lowest possible buffer. I’ve read that the DVS adds a fair amount of latency. Hoping the PCIe card is super stable and combined with a powerful computer would make the already great ilive even more flexible. Just don’t want to he the trailblazer here. ;)

T112/48, MacBook Pro, D-link DIR-815, iPad 1 w/mixpad, Dante card feeding a Mac Mini w/DVS.

reuben-kinkade
    Participant

I totally understand not wanting to be the trailblazer ! I’m in a similar situation to some extent.

I wanted to run my system at 96 kHz and I know that the 2008 8-Core will struggle with that, especially with CPU-intensive instruments, so I’ve come to the realization that I’ll need a faster machine, more than likely an over-clocked 3930k PC. However, like yourself, I don’t want to go and have the thing built if latency is going to be an issue with the PCIe interface or if the PCIe card is going to be unstable or use unstable drivers.

I’m hoping to hear some good experiences with the PCIe card but I’ve been just about a hair away of just ordering the card(s)/Interface and giving it a shot with my 8-Core and 6-Core.

When I spoke to Focusrite, they mentioned that I should be good to go with my setup goals but then followed it up with a ‘hey, when you try it, let us know how it works out for you’. Yep, that’s right, the old ‘beta-tester’ slogan.

I may just go ahead and try it with this setup though. I’m so curious to see if this is going to be a “win” ! If not, it’s MADI for me ! [;)]

Profile photo of mumu
    mumu
    Participant

This is my idea too run vsti s and some fex and record just for being lazy
    And bring less computers to the set,
    As i said the send return issue is promising 3ms each side,
    I did a simple test by wearing headphones and a mic (i am a singer)
    Within a “wedge stage” situation definetely not hearable anymore,
    With in ear good enough for me…
    I am very busy these days but i ll post my testings.

cheers
    dave

reuben-kinkade
    Participant

Good ! I’m looking forward to hearing how it’s going, especially on how it handles higher track counts.

quote:

Originally posted by mumu

This is my idea too run vsti s and some fex and record just for being lazy
    And bring less computers to the set,
    As i said the send return issue is promising 3ms each side,
    I did a simple test by wearing headphones and a mic (i am a singer)
    Within a “wedge stage” situation definetely not hearable anymore,
    With in ear good enough for me…
    I am very busy these days but i ll post my testings.

cheers
    dave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.